Institute of Cost Accountants of India (ICAI) has launched a short-term Course – Certificate in Accounting Technicians (CAT) for 12th (10+2) passed and Under Graduates to meet the huge demand for entry-level Accountants in India. The Certificate in Accounting Technicians (CAT Course) is of one-year duration. The Course consists of Education, Oral Coaching followed by on-line/off-line self-assessment, on-line Examination, Computer Training, 3 months Internship and 5 days Orientation Programme.
This Course has been introduced in consultation with Ministry of Corporates Affairs, Government of India. CAT equip students to become well versed with the maintenance of accounts, preparation of Tax Returns, Filling of Returns under Companies Act, Filling of Returns under Income Tax, GST, Customs Act, Export & Import documentation etc.
Objective of Certificate in Accounting Technicians Course
- To develop among the students the necessary skills required to apply theoretical knowledge of Accounting to practical situations in different functional areas of Accounting;
- Exposure to environments under which different organizations work;
- Providing on-job experience of practical aspects of Accounting;
- Developing disciplined attitude required to become an Accountant.
CAT aims to spread the opportunities to the students’ community who could not be reached so far.
Features of Certificate in Accounting Technicians Course
- A student who has passed the Class 10 examination conducted by an examining body constituted by the law of India or an examination recognized by Central Government/ State Government as equivalent thereto may register for CAT Course and simultaneously study and appear for Senior Secondary (10+2) Examination. Or
- Passed the Senior Secondary School Examination under the 10+2 scheme of a recognized Board or an Examination recognized by the Central Government as equivalent thereto or
- Passed the National Diploma in Commerce Examination held by the All India Council for Technical Education or any State Board of Technical Education under the authority of the said All India Council, or
- The Diploma in Rural Service Examination conducted by the National Council of Higher Education.
Fees — Rs.8600/ (all inclusive). Fees have to be paid in the form of Demand Draft (DD) drawn in favor of “THE INSTITUTE OF COST ACCOUNTANTS OF INDIA” payable at New Delhi.
Medium — Hindi & English
Mode of delivery
- Oral Coaching by Regional Councils/ Chapters/ Recognised Oral Coaching Centres of the Institute spread across the country.
- Students can visit the official website of the Institute to know the details of centers established across the country to impart CAT Course.
Linkage with Main Course
- A student after passing Foundation Course (Entry Level) Part I and Senior Secondary Examination (10+2) is eligible to register for the Intermediate course of the Institute.
- Through internal assessment- offline and online for both CAT levels.
- Online Examination for Foundation Course (Entry Level) Part I. A Student can appear for Foundation Course (Entry Level) Part I after appearing in Senior Secondary Examination or equivalent as indicated in the eligibility criteria.
- There will be on-line assessment Test for CAT Competency Level – Part-II
Duration of Certificate in Accounting Technicians Foundation Course (Entry Level) Part-I
- 200 Hours of Coaching and self Assessment – online/ offline
Duration of Certificate in Accounting Technicians Competency Level- Part-II
- 100 Hours of Computer Training, Training on the filing of Returns, Cost Sheet preparation, and Self-assessment – online/offline.
Orientation Programme — 5 days
Internship — 3 months
Examination Fee — Rs.730/
Orientation programme Fee — 500/ (payable to the Centre conducting the CAT Course)
Providing Study Notes — The Institute will provide study notes to all the Students of CAT without any additional cost.
Last Date of CAT Admission
The Admission for CAT Course is done with reference to the Examination which is presently held twice in a year- generally June and December. The Closing date for admission to CAT Course is:
For June Term Examination – 31st January
For December Term Examination – 31st July
Summary of ‘Certificate of Accounting Technicians Course’
A) Foundation Course (Entry Level) Part-I
- Paper 1: Fundamentals of Financial Accounting.
- Paper 2: Applied Business and Industrial Laws
- Paper 3: Financial Accounting-2
- Paper 4: Statutory Compliance
B) Competency Level – Part-II
- Fundamentals of Computers
- Filling of Statutory Returns
- Introduction to Costing Principles and Preparation of Cost Statements
- 5-days Orientation Programme
Registration for Certificate in Accounting Technicians Course
- Prospectus along with the Admission Form will be available at Head Quarter and Regional Council Offices, Chapters and Recognized Oral Coaching Centres (ROCCs) of CAT Course.
- A Candidate seeking admission to CAT Course shall submit the duly filled Admission Form along with the Identity Card which is attached in the prospectus to the Coaching Centre from where he/she intends to receive Oral Coaching. Consequent upon the completion of Registration, the students will be issued Identity Card and the Registration number.
- Copies of documents giving proof of qualification and age are to be enclosed with the admission form.
(A) Valid Registration Time Limit
- If a student fails to appear in Examination within three years from the date of his registration, the registration shall be cancelled after the expiry of the said period. In such case, the student has to apply for Re-registration.
- Registration is valid for a period of seven years from the date of registration for a student who appears in Examination within three years from the date of his/her registration. After the expiry of seven years period, his/her registration shall be cancelled. In such case, the student has to apply for ‘DE NOVO’ Registration.
(B) DE NOVO Registration
- A Student whose registration has been cancelled on account of failure to complete the “Certificate in Accounting Technician Course” within a period of seven years from the date of registration may, if he/she desires, apply for DE NOVO Registration in the prescribed form along with the payment of Rs. 2000/- as DE NOVO Registration Fees. A candidate registration DE NOVO shall be allowed an exemption in Entry Level if he/ she had passed the examination under the earlier registration.
Job Opportunities After CAT Course
Students, after successfully completing the CAT Course will acquire necessary skills to take up employment in entry accounting functions in the industry. Some of the potential sectors of employment are.
- Small & Medium Enterprises;
- Business Processes Outsourcing (BPO)/Knowledge Processes Outsourcing (KPO);
- Retail Sector;
- Panchayats Accounting and Book-keeping;
- Income Tax/Service Tax Return Prepares
- Filing of Returns under Companies Act;
- Filing of Returns under Income Tax, VAT, Service Tax, Central Excise and Customs Act etc;
- Export & Import documentation etc.
Here you got the details about “Certificate in Accounting Technicians (CAT) Course” details.Please post your comments or queries regarding ICMAI CAT Course – Certificate in Accounting Technicians Course either on our Aftergraduation Forum or in the below comment box. Connect with us for more guidance for CA Students and other updates on Linkedin, Facebook, and Twitter also.