Candidates appearing for Computer Science and Information Technology (CS & IT) subject in GATE 2020 must know GATE 2020 CS & IT syllabus, Best reference books to study CSE for Exam, CSE GATE 2020 Exam Pattern and preparation strategy and tips for better GATE score.
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE), is a national level examination held all over India for the aspirants seeking admission to various Post Graduate Engineering/Technology Courses and also apply for lucrative engineering jobs offered by the PSUs. To pursue higher degree admission in Computer Science and Information Technology (CS-IT) course from top Institutes a candidate needs to know how to prepare for CSE GATE 2020 exam.
The GATE 2020 exam will be held on February 1-2 and February 8-9, 2020 by IIT Delhi, the exam conducting body. Owing to a large number of applicants, the CSE GATE 2020 exam will be held in multiple sessions. As far as guidance is concerned, AfterGraduation shares the basic mantras for the proper study plan and preparation strategy to have better GATE score.
In our earlier article, we have shared CSE GATE 2020 Syllabus, Important topics, books to be referred for GATE preparation. In this article, We here bring the understanding of GATE 2020 CSE Exam pattern and Guidance for preparing and scoring well in CSE GATE 2020 exam.
READ Too: ONGC Recruitment For Engineers Through GATE 2020
GATE 2020 CSE Exam Pattern
The examination will be a computer-based online mode with two types of questions. These are Objective type and Numerical Type. In Numerical Type questions, some numerical value has to be answered without any options provided.
|Examination Mode||Computer-based Test|
|No. of questions||65|
|Sections||General Aptitude, Mathematics and Subject Specific|
- General Aptitude: This section covers 15% of the total marks. There will be a total 10 questions in the exam paper in which 5 questions carry 1 mark each while the other 5 questions carry 2 marks each.
- Engineering Mathematics: This section also covers 15% of the total marks. There will be a total 10 questions in the exam paper in which 5 questions carry 1 mark each and other 5 questions carry 2 marks each. The course for the Mathematics portion is vast but the questions asked in the exam are simple, short and based on direct application of formulae.
- CS Engineering: 20 questions carry 1 mark each. And, the rest 25 questions carry 2 marks for every correct answer.
Note: There is no negative marking for Numerical Type questions. However, a negative marking of 1/3 of the question marks will be done for both 1 and 2 marks question of MCQ.
READ ALSO: GATE 2020 Registration Process Begins Through Gate.Iitd.Ac.In
GATE 2020 CSE Preparation Guidance
First of all, relax! There’s an ample time left to thoroughly prepare for the GATE examination and crack. Secondly, make an examination preparation plan to properly divide the time. There are still 4-5 months left for the preparation. We always advise students to do preparation in the best manner that is suited to you. Scheduling and planning are very important.
1. It is important to have a thorough knowledge of the exam pattern and syllabus. Go through previous year exam papers and make a list of topics based on a number of questions appeared and give importance to them accordingly.
2. Do Not Miss Engg. Maths/Aptitude: Ensure that you cover Engineering Mathematics and General Aptitude in the course of your preparation. Prepare well both of them as it will ensure a good score.
3. Study materials: Choose books and study materials for CSE subject which are the best for you. There are several standard study materials available in the market. We have also shared some good books referred by GATE CSE toppers and faculties in our earlier articles. Choose the one with the best explanations and which is easy to understand.
4. Time table: An efficient study plan consists of the time table with sufficient time allotted for every section of the syllabus. Allot time in a way so as to cover every topic efficiently without costing the time for other sections.
5. Practice as many questions as possible: Doing so not only highlights your weak areas but also helps you to manage the time. It also brings out a variety of questions which might be new.
6. Practise GATE Sample Papers and Mock Test: Students should attempt both online and offline mock tests. Practising and analyzing your performance in these tests will help you to judge your preparation level. Through GATE mock tests, candidates get to learn time management, handling exam pressure, Accuracy, and skills to attempt the question paper.
7. Use of Virtual Calculator: Taking a mock test will help you adapt to the online pattern and how to use enabled virtual calculator. 80% of the questions asked in GATE Exam paper for CS & IT Subject may not require the virtual calculator, so use the calculator only when its really required for complex calculations.
8. Make Small Notes: Prepare short notes on all important topics, concepts, formulas, tricks etc during your preparation for GATE exam. This will be very useful for revision in the last days of the GATE exam.
9. It is very important to keep a healthy mind and body. Do not forget to take adequate sleep and eat healthily.
READ MORE: Multiple Options Available For GATE Qualified Students
CSE GATE 2020 Exam Revision Plan
The last month must solely be given for the revision of the important topics marked during the initial preparation. This month must also be dedicated to the practising of the mock tests. Analyze the weaker points and work on that. Pay equal attention to both theory and numerical.
Proper preparation strategy, determination and focus required to Crack the GATE examination. Do not strain yourself till the last minute. We suggest the GATE aspirants be determined and diligently observe the tricks throughout the preparation period and prepare accordingly to achieve the goal to crack the exam.
Have Confidence in yourself. All the Best..!!
Drop all your queries and comments regarding ‘GATE 2020 Computer Science and Information Technology Syllabus, Exam Pattern, Books for Preparation, Guidance’ on our AfterGraduation Forum or in the below comment box.
Stay tuned through Facebook, Linkedin and Twitter for regular guidance for GATE exam preparation, updates on Entrance Exams, Higher Education, Professional Courses, Career Guidance among education other information.