Candidates appearing in GATE 2019 Electrical Engineering (EE) must know proper syllabus, Best Books for GATE Electrical Engineering preparation, and preparation tips of the subject for better GATE Score as results. Candidates can plan out their study sessions as information provided by AfterGraduation about the steps for better preparation, along with the syllabus and books which have to be referred to achieve good results in GATE exam.
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is a national level examination conducted in eight zones across the country by the GATE Committee for admissions to Postgraduate Programmes (ME, M.Tech, MS, Direct PhD) in institutes like IITs and IISc and other with financial assistance offered by MHRD. GATE scores are also used by the Public Sector Units (PSUs) for recruiting individuals for various prestigious government jobs with attractive remuneration.
GATE 2019 examination will be conducted by IIT Madras for 24 different fields and Electrical Engineering is one of them. A roadmap is must when you need to prepare for such an examination in which more than 8 lakh candidates appear every year and out of which only 15% qualify even though its cutoff is 25 out of 100.
Since, GATE 2019 will be held on 2, 3, 9 & 10 February at different sessions, this is the high time to start preparing for the same. As we know ” it’s always more difficult in the beginning” we here present the detailed information GATE 2019 Electrical Engineering examination preparation for aspirants.
“A goal is just a wish without a plan”
GATE 2019 EE EXAM PATTERN
The most important and prior step is to go through the exam pattern for the same. The exam pattern is officially given by GATE organizing Institute. So it is recommended to go through it thoroughly and then plan the study schedule according to the weightage of different topics.
The paper pattern is as follows
|Technical Section||70 marks|
|General Aptitude||15 marks|
|Engineering Mathematics||15 marks|
|Total Marks||100 marks|
|Total Questions||65 questions|
|Time Duration||3 hours|
It consists of basically two type of questions namely
- Multiple Choice Questions which are objective type questions each having 4 choices of answers. They are of 1 or 2 marks in all Sections. It also includes negative marking. Hence, for each correct answer 1 mark will be added and for each incorrect answer 0.33 mark will be deducted and for each 2 marker question correct answer gives 2 marks and incorrect answer deducts 0.66 marks.
- Numeric Answer Questions are different from Previous MCQs. They donot include any choices they have answers which are real numbers which are to inserted by virtual keypad appeared on the monitor via mouse. They also carry 1 or 2 marks in different sections. No negative marking is there for the same.
GATE 2019 ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING REFERENCE BOOKS:
There is no hard and fast rule to complete each book but do it as per your convenience, if you find some book difficult, don’t stuck to that, move to another book but make sure that book must be written by some renown author. To help GATE 19 aspirants we summed up some books which were suggested by previous years GATE examination toppers.
|Network Analysis||Circuit Theory: Analysis & Synthesis by Abhijit Chakrabarti|
|Electrical Machine||Electrical Machinery by P.S Bimbhra|
|Power Systems||Power Systems Engineering by Nagrath and Kothari
Power Systems by JB Guptha & CL Wadhwa
|Electrical and Electronic Measurements||Electrical and Electronic Measurement and Instrumentation by AK Sawhney|
|Power electronics||Power Electronics by P.S.Bimbhra|
|Analog Electronics||Electronic Devices and Circuit Theory by Boylestad
Integrated Electronics: Analog And Digital Circuits And Systems by Christos C. Halkias, Chetan D. Parikh Jacob Millman
|Digital Electronics||Digital Design by M.Morris Mano|
|Control Systems||Control Systems Engineering by Nagrath and Gopal|
|EMFT (Electro-Magnetic Field Theory)||Elements of Electromagnetics by Mathew N. O. SADIKU
Engineering Electromagnetics by William H. Hayt
|Signals and Systems||Signals and Systems by Alan V. Oppenheim, Allan S. Willsky, S. Hamid Nawab:|
|Engineering Mathematics||B.S. Grewal|
|General Aptitude||G. K. Publications|
GATE 2019 ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING PREPARATION TIPS:
The preparation is done in steps is more effective. So preparation for GATE 2019 should be divided into below steps like:
1. Checking the Exam pattern and syllabus: The same as mentioned above. Refer GATE 2019 EE Engineering syllabus fully and properly. While checking the exam pattern, it will help to prepare from the syllabus accordingly.
2. Collecting all the study materials: Oftentimes the books which are best according to others is not suitable for you. So it is highly advisable to just go through all the reference books, their content, especially their way of explanation if it suits you, or only if it is understandable and it should be followed. The best way to know if your preparations is appropriate or not is by attempting mock tests. Collecting study material is important but it should also be kept in mind that you are aiming for best so concentrate on quality, not quantity. How many books you are referring to is not important but how much focused you are on each topic is more.
3. Make a study schedule: As the paper pattern shows every individual section has its own different weightage hence a study plan is important. You should divide time among all the sections. Each section should be attempted each day say if Aptitude is given 1 hour daily and so is engineering mathematics then the core subjects should be given atleast 2 hours. The important topics should be covered first.
Every topic that you are covering should be noted in your handwriting as it makes memorize faster. But it is also to study smart which means you need to write only those points that are important or comes under ‘must remember ones’.
4. Refer Exam Pattern: By checking the exam pattern of GATE 2019, candidates will gain information about the mode of examination, type of questions, time duration, marking scheme and more.
5. Practice as many questions as you can: Since GATE is highly competitive Exam, the only thing that can make you better from other competitors would be your speed and accuracy which can only be attained when you pratice more and more questions. Setting targets and completing it with maximum correct answers is what you need. Praticing Model papers and previous year questions papers give you an idea about important questions and the type of questions that can be asked. And here is a Pro Tip as you start referring to questions start marking them as follows:
If say for a question the correct answer comes in
First attempt – do not mark
Second attempt – mark it with integer 3
Third attempt – mark it with 2
And then the questions whose solutions are tricky, their solutions should be seen and understand and then should be attempted again and marked as 1.
Hence during revision, the sequence of questions will be from questions with sign 1 to the following signs 2, 3 and so on. This will make your revision faster and better. Must note Revisions are extremely important, hence should be done periodically.
6. Before Exams: Don’t go for new topics just go with older ones, revise them, get a command over them. Solve mock test and previous year question papers.
7. Eat Healthy, Think healthy:
Motivation is very important when you are aiming for anything. So be motivated don’t let yourself be stressed all the time. Get good sleep. Eat healthy because eating healthy things would make grasp faster and let you memorize things better. Competitive exam preparations are always hectic but giving yourself break is important as well to keep to enthusiastic.
All the Best, Aspirants!!!
We would love your inputs and suggestions to bring more useful articles for GATE aspirants. Drop all your queries or comments regarding ‘GATE 2019 Electrical Engineering Syllabus, EE Exam Pattern, Reference Books, Preparation Tips’ on our Aftergraduation Forum or in the below comment box and we would be happy to help you.
Stay in touch with us for updates on Entrance Exam Preparation, Higher Education, Professional Courses, Career Enhancement Programmes, Entrance Exams Information, among education other information through Linkedin, Facebook, and Twitter.