Candidates appearing in GATE 2020 Electrical Engineering (EE) must know the proper syllabus, Best Books for GATE Electrical Engineering preparation, and preparation tips of the subject for better GATE Score as results. Candidates can plan out their study sessions as information provided by AfterGraduation about the steps for better preparation, along with the syllabus and books which have to be referred to achieve good results in GATE exam.
GATE, Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering is a national level technical examination conducted by the GATE Committee for admissions to Postgraduate Programmes (ME, M.Tech, MS, Direct PhD) in institutes like IITs, IISc and others. GATE scores are also used by the Public Sector Units (PSUs) for recruiting graduate Engineers for various prestigious posts with attractive remuneration.
GATE 2020 examination will be conducted by IIT Delhi for 25 different fields and Electrical Engineering is one of them. A roadmap is must when you need to prepare for such an examination in which more than 8 lakh candidates appear every year and out of which only 15% qualify even though its cutoff is 25 out of 100.
Since, GATE 2020 will be held tentatively on 1, 2, 8 & 9 February at different sessions, this is the high time to start preparing for the same. As we know ” it’s always more difficult in the beginning” we here present the detailed information GATE 2020 Electrical Engineering examination preparation for aspirants.
GATE 2020 EE Exam Pattern
The most important and prior step for the preparation is to go through its exam pattern for the same. It is highly recommended to go through it thoroughly and then plan the study schedule according to the weightage of different sections.
The paper pattern is as follows
|Technical Section||70 marks|
|General Aptitude||15 marks|
|Engineering Mathematics||15 marks|
|Total Marks||100 marks|
|Total Questions||65 questions|
|Time Duration||3 hours|
The GATE exam paper consists of basically two types of questions –
- Multiple Choice Questions which are objective type questions each having 4 choices of answers. They are of 1 or 2 marks in all Sections. It also includes negative marking. Hence, for each correct answer 1 mark will be added and for each incorrect answer 0.33 mark will be deducted and for each 2 marker question correct answer gives 2 marks and incorrect answer deducts 0.66 marks.
- Numeric Answer Questions are different from Previous MCQs. They do not include any choices they have answers which are real numbers which are to inserted by virtual keypad appeared on the monitor via mouse. These questions are also of 1 or 2 marks. No negative marking is there for the same.
GATE 2020 Electrical Engineering Reference Books
There is no hard and fast rule to complete each and every book to complete the syllabus. Refer to those books which you feel understandable and having the correct information. If you find some book difficult, don’t stick to that, move to another book but make sure that book must be written by some renown author. To help GATE’20 aspirants we summed up some books which were suggested by previous years GATE examination toppers.
|Network Analysis||Circuit Theory: Analysis & Synthesis by Abhijit Chakrabarti|
|Electrical Machine||Electrical Machinery by P.S Bimbhra|
|Power Systems||Power Systems by JB Gupta & CL Wadhwa
Power Systems Engineering by Nagrath and Kothari
|Electrical and Electronic Measurements|
|Power electronics||Power Electronics by PS Bimbhra|
|Analog Electronics||Electronic Devices and Circuit Theory by Boylestad|
|Digital Electronics||Digital Design by M.Morris Mano|
|Control Systems||Control Systems Engineering by I.J. Nagrath and Madan Gopal|
|EMFT (Electro-Magnetic Field Theory)||Elements of Electromagnetics by Mathew N. O. SADIKU
Engineering Electromagnetics by William H. Hayt
|Signals and Systems||Signals and Systems by Oppenheim, Willsky and Nawab|
|Engineering Mathematics||B.S. Grewal|
|General Aptitude||G. K. Publications|
GATE 2020 Electrical Engineering Preparation Tips
The preparation done with proper strategy and schedule is more effective. So preparation for GATE 2020 should be divided into below steps like:
1. Checking the Exam pattern and syllabus: The same as mentioned above. Refer GATE 2020 EE Engineering syllabus fully and properly. Understand the exam pattern properly as it will help to prepare from the syllabus accordingly.
2. Collecting all the study materials: Often times the books which are best according to others is not suitable for you. So it is highly advisable to go through the reference books, check their content and way of explanation and if it is understandable to you then only it should be followed. How many books you are referring to is not important but how much focused you are on each topic is more i.e Quality over Quantity. The best way to know if your preparations is appropriate or not is by attempting mock tests.
3. Make a Study Schedule: As the paper pattern shows every individual section has its own different weightage hence a study plan is important. You should divide time among all the sections. Each different section of the syllabus should be attempted each day say if Aptitude and Engineering Mathematics are given 30 minutes each on a daily basis then the core subjects should be given at least 2 hours of preparation. Important and tough topics should be covered first.
Make a shot notes of every topic that you are covering as it makes the topics to memorize faster. Mark the topic which you feel a bit tricky and important.
4. Refer Exam Pattern: By checking the exam pattern of GATE 2020, candidates will gain information about the mode of examination, type of questions, time duration, marking scheme and more.
5. Practice Mock Test, Sample Papers, Last Years Paper: Practice as many questions as you can to improve your speed and accuracy. Setting time targets and complete the practice test with maximum correct answers is what you need. Practising Model papers and previous year questions papers give you an idea about important questions and the type of questions that can be asked. Solve the mock test and previous year question papers regularly after completing any topic.
6. Before Exams: Don’t go for new topics just before appearing for the exam. It’s better to revise the older ones, tricky one, get a command over them.
7. Eat Healthily, Think Healthy:
Motivation is the key to Success, as it builds up confidence. So be motivated don’t let yourself be stressed all the time. Get good sleep. Eat healthy because eating healthy things would make grasp faster and let you memorize things better. Preparation for the Competitive exam is always hectic but giving yourself break is important to keep yourself enthusiastic and fresh.
All the Best, Aspirants!!!
Inputs and suggestions are welcomed to bring more useful articles for GATE aspirants. Drop all your queries and comments regarding ‘Electrical Engineering GATE 2020 Syllabus, EE Exam Pattern, Reference Books, Preparation Tips’ on our AfterGraduation Forum or in the below comment box and we would be happy to help you.
Stay in touch with us through Linkedin, Facebook, and Twitter for more and regular updates on Entrance Exam Preparation, Higher Education, Professional Courses, Career Enhancement Programmes, Institutes Admission and Placement among other related Information.