Gate 2019 Ecology and Evolution (EY) exam is going to be held in February 2019. GATE 2019 Exam is a brilliant opportunity for the candidates. So, it is important for the aspirants to know the Syllabus, Exam Pattern, Books for preparation, Guidance and preparation strategy of GATE 2019 Ecology and Evolution (EY) Engineering.
This GATE discipline is one of its own kind in that you can restore ecological systems using ecosystem engineers. Ecology and evolution are the research in all areas of ecology, evolution and conservation science. It is concerned with the design, monitoring, and construction of ecosystems.
The practical application in the understanding of evolution has been instrumental to developments in numerous, scientific and industrial fields, including agriculture, human and veterinary medicine, and the life sciences whereas Ecology is the study of organisms and their interactions. Despite widespread recognition of these often important effects, the ecosystem engineering concept has yet to be widely used in ecological applications.
This article will help the candidates who are appearing to GATE 2019 Ecology and Evolution examination. In this article, we will let you know about the GATE 2019 syllabus for ecology and evolution engineering, exam pattern, and best reference books for you to study and preparation tips for GATE 2019 examination.
GATE 2019 Ecology and Evolution Syllabus
The GATE 2019 Ecology and Evolution syllabus contains four section. Below given is the list of these sections –
Population ecology; metapopulation dynamics; growth rates; density-independent growth; density-dependent growth; niche concept;
Species interactions: Plant-animal interactions; mutualism, commensalism, competition and predation; trophic interactions; functional ecology; ecophysiology; behavioural ecology;
Community ecology: Community assembly, organization and evolution; biodiversity: species richness, evenness and diversity indices; endemism; species-area relationships;
Ecosystem structure, function and services; nutrient cycles; biomes; habitat ecology; primary and secondary productivity; invasive species; global and climate change; applied ecology.
Origin, evolution and diversification of life; natural selection; levels of selection.
Types of selection (stabilizing, directional etc.); sexual selection; genetic drift; gene flow; adaptation; convergence; species concepts;
Life history strategies; adaptive radiation; biogeography and evolutionary ecology;
Origin of genetic variation; Mendelian genetics; polygenic traits, linkage and recombination; epistasis, gene-environment interaction; heritability; population genetics;
Molecular evolution; molecular clocks; systems of classification: cladistics and phenetics; molecular systematics; gene expression and evolution.
3: Mathematics and Quantitative Ecology
Mathematics and statistics in ecology; Simple functions (linear, quadratic, exponential, logarithmic, etc); concept of derivatives and slope of a function; permutations and combinations; basic probability (probability of random events; sequences of events, etc); frequency distributions and their descriptive statistics (mean, variance, coefficient of variation, correlation, etc).
Statistical hypothesis testing: Concept of p-value; Type I and Type II error, test statistics like t-test and Chi-square test; basics of linear regression and ANOVA.
4: Behavioural Ecology
Classical ethology; neuroethology; evolutionary ethology; chemical, acoustic and visual signalling
Mating systems; sexual dimorphism; mate choice; parenting behaviour Competition; aggression; foraging behaviour; predator-prey interactions; Sociobiology: kin selection, altruism, costs and benefits of group-living.
Reference Books for GATE 2019 Ecology and Evolution
Verbal and Numerical Ability
- General Aptitude: Quantitative Aptitude & Reasoning – G.K Publications
- Objective English for Competitive Examination 5th Ed – Hari Mohan Prasad
- Solved papers on verbal and numerical ability – Made Easy Team
Ecology and Evolution Reference Books
- Cell Biology, Genetics, Molecular Biology, Evolution & Ecology by Verma P.S
- Microbiology by Micheal Pelczar
- Principles of genetics by Gardner, Simmons, Snustad
- Principles and Techniques of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology by Wilson/Walker
- Test and evolution: Life sciences/Biotechnology by Pranav Kumar
- Fundamentals and Techniques of Biophysics and Molecular Biology by Pranav Kumar
- Human Ecology in the Vedas (Reconstructing Indian History and Culture) by Marta Vannucci
- Ecological Readings in the Veda: Matter, Energy, Life (Reconstructing Indian History and Culture) by Marta Vannucci.
- Hinduism and Ecology: Seeds of Truth by Ranchor Prime
- Higher Engineering Mathematics – B.S. Grewal
- Advanced Engineering Mathematics – RK Jain, SRK Iyengar
GATE 2019 Ecology and Evolution Exam Pattern
While preparing for the exam students must also be well versed with the exam pattern of GATE 2019 for Ecology and Evolution. The GATE 2019 exam will be conducted through online mode. In GATE 2019 exam there will be multiple choices questions (MCQ) and numerical answer type (NAT) questions that candidates have to attempt.
Candidates will find easier if they have the complete information about Ecology and Evolution Engineering GATE 2019 exam pattern before starting of the preparation. It consists of basically two type of questions namely
- Multiple Choice Questions which are objective type questions each having 4 choices of answers. They are of 1 or 2 marks in all Sections. It also includes negative marking. Hence, for each correct answer 1 will be added and for each incorrect answer 0.33 mark will be deducted and for each 2 marker question correct answer gives 2 marks and incorrect answer deducts 0.66 marks.
- Numeric Answer Questions are different from Previous MCQs. They don’t include any choices they have answers which are real numbers which are to inserted by virtual keypad appeared on the monitor via mouse. They also carry 1 or 2 marks in different sections. No negative marking is there for the same.
Below given table will describe some more details about GATE 2019 Ecology and Evolution Engineering exam.
|Duration of Exam||3 hours|
|Total Number of Questions||65|
|Sections||In total there will be two sections in GATE 2019 Ecology and Evolution examination.
1. General Aptitude which contains 15% of total marks weigh.
2. Subject (EY) Question contains rest of 85% of total marks.
GATE 2019 Ecology and Evolution Preparation Tips
- Go through the previous year’s question papers and practice those papers for better clarity of exam pattern.
- Study with the best reference books as mentioned above that have all the basic topics.
- You have to learn time management skill by practising more and more. Take the mock tests to develop the speed and accuracy of solving questions.
- Prepare those topics which carry more weightage thoroughly to get you a high score.
- Make notes of important topic so that it will be easy for you to study in exam times.
- Good coaching classes or a good mentor can also help you in guiding during preparation.
- Study with the concentration and study daily for 4-5 hours.
- Candidates who are appearing for GATE exam are requested to attend mock tests so it will let you know your actual preparation for the exam.
- Revision is the most important thing after studying the subjects.
- Always find leisure activities to relax. Listen to music, hang out with friends, participate in family and social functions, watch TV etc.
Do Not Give Up..!!
Scope in Ecology and Evolution
The subject is interesting no doubt, and there are still many more things still unexplored in this subject. Ecology and evolution is such a stream where a student is only expected to do research related to the subject. There are many opportunities if you have passion and interest in Ecology and Evolution Engineering, you can be –
- Eminent Professors.
- Field excursions/trips to develop an interest in the subject.
- Evolutionary Biologist
- Conservation Biologist
- Marine biologist
ALSO READ: Best Books To Prepare GATE 2019
We would love your inputs and suggestions to bring more useful articles for GATE aspirants. Drop all your queries or comments regarding ‘GATE 2019 Ecology and Evolution Syllabus, Exam Pattern, Books for Studies, Preparation Strategy’ on our AfterGraduation Forum or in the below comment box and we would be happy to help you.
Stay in touch with us for updates on Entrance Exam Preparation, Higher Education, Professional Courses, Career Enhancement Programmes, Entrance Exams Information, among education other information through Linkedin, Facebook, and Twitter.