“ARTICLESHIP” is full of agony and excitement both at the same time. In Chartered Accountancy (CA) Course after completing IPCC, a Student is required to undergo 3 years of Articleship training under a Chartered Accountant, wherein a student has the opportunity to learn all the experiences which are required for a successful Chartered Accountant.
Out of these 3 years of articleship, 2 years of articleship are mandatory required to be served under a Chartered Accountant in practice. However, in the last year of training, a CA student may either continue his training under a chartered accountant in practice or enroll himself for Industrial training. Training under a Chartered Accountant in employment is called Industrial Training. Although articleship period is of 3 years but a student can appear for his exams after 2.5 years.
With this article, we provide you the detailed procedure of the ICAI articleship like Articleship Registration process, required forms, registration fee etc.
Articleship during the course of CA is extremely important as it forms the backbone of your career. A qualified CA without proper articleship is not capable of handling the practical situations which will come forward as she/he has not gone through the experiences.
We learn a lot during IPCC, but the most important part is articleship. During articleship, students acquire the practical knowledge of the subjects and in parallel learn how to apply the knowledge acquired from the books. Student will learn how to reciprocate to complex situations and get an exposure to overall social-economic environment in which organizations operate. The whole practice teaches to the actual atmosphere of being an chartered accountant.
Its important that articleship should be seen as a tool to learn and grow whilst in the process of journey to become successful CA.
Its a wonderful opportunity for a student learn and earn simultaneously. It gives you the chance to work under the best professional of the industry. Your stipend depends on the organization you choose to offer your services.
When (Eligibility) A Student Can Register For Articleship?
- Foundation Route students can register for Articleship Training after successful completing 4 weeks of Integrated Course on Information Technology and Soft Skills (ICITSS) consisting of Information Technology (IT) and Orientation Course (OC) each of 15 days and passing either or both groups of Intermediate Examination.
- For direct entrants coming through Graduation and Post-Graduation route, the practical training commences immediately after registration in Intermediate Course and completion of four weeks ICITSS.
- Students who have passed Intermediate level Examination of the Institute of Companies Secretaries of India or the Institute of Cost Accountants of India can commence only after completing ICITSS and passing either group or both groups of Intermediate Examination.
How To Register for CA Articleship?
First of all a CA student who intends to undergo articleship training shall first find a CA firm which has a vacancy for article trainees. Purchase of registration forms i.e. form no.103 and form no.102 from ICAI
1 . Form 102
- The deed of articles is executed on a Non Judicial Stamp Paper or Special Adhesive Stamp paper
- Deed is executed for 3 years
- The deed of articles should be executed in printed Form in duplicate and signed both by the article assistant and the chartered accountant.
- The original deed of articles should be retained by the chartered accountant and duplicate copy thereof should be given to the article assistant
2. Form 103
Its just a statement of particulars which is issued in triplicate and it should be signed by both i.e. CA and article assistant. Documents to be submitted along with this form are :
|1.||Copy of marks statements and registration letter|
|2.||Proof of date of birth (high school certificate), marks statement of class 12th|
(All the documents should be attested by principal)
3. Form 112
If article trainee is undergoing any other course along with CA like the college graduation (B.Com) or other course then he/she required to obtain specific permission from the ICAI. Form 112 is required by articled assistant to take permission to pursue any additional course.
To ensure that the working hours do not clash with the graduation or any other course, if any, pursued by the articled assistant, each articled assistant shall be required to obtain specific permission from the ICAI for pursuing graduation or other course as permitted under the Chartered Accountants Regulations by submitting Form No. 112, within one month from the date of joining the college or course to the ICAI.
These forms should reach ICAI within 30 days of commencement of articleship (there is no last date for articleship registration, in case candidate concerned about final attempt then there are two dates in a year 30th April and 31st October. Example : you need to register before 30th April in order to appear in Nov. 2017 and 31st October in order to appear in May 2018 attempt).
Articleship Registration Fees
At the time of Articleship Registration, the article trainee is required to pay a fee of Rs. 2,000. In case this articleship registration fees has already been paid at the time of IPCC Registration, you are not required to pay this fees again.
The Fee shall be payable by way of demand draft/ bankers cheque drawn on any bank in the name of “Secretary, The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India” payable at Mumbai/Kolkatta/ Chennai/ Kanpur/ New Delhi as the case may be.
Students are requested to note that although they can start their articleship after clearing IPCC Group I, but they can register for CA Final only after clearing both the groups of IPCC. Hope this article helped you to understand the registration process of CA Articleship. For any query please write in the comment box or on Forum.