The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) to introduce a compulsory exam to assess CA students during their practical training i.e Articleship. The Council has decided to assess CA Students with online MCQ based tests, after completion of the first and second year of practical training.
These tests would examine the knowledge gained by the student during the course of practical training and his ability to apply his subject-specific skills while undergoing his training in that particular area.
The brief details about the tests to Assess CA Students are as below:
1. The test would be of 75 marks (Duration: 2 hours) for 1st Year students and of 100 marks (Duration: 3 hours) for 2nd Year students.
2. The students completing their 1st/ 2nd year of practical training in a particular quarter of a year would be eligible to register for the said test in the subsequent quarter.
3. Students will be assigned grades based on their performance in the assessments as below:
- 80% and above – A grade
- 60% and above but below 80% – B grade
- 40% and above but below 60% – C grade
- Below 40% – D grade
4. The grades would appear on the final mark sheet of the student. A student can appear in the particular test at a maximum of two more times to improve his/ her grade by paying a nominal fee. The best grade out of all the grades scored would be taken for inclusion in the mark sheet.
5. In the test, Accounting and Auditing (including Corporate Laws) of 50 marks will be mandatory and students would be selecting one optional module at the 1st level test and two optional modules at the 2nd level test, related to their practical training specialisation area. The optional modules (each comprising 25 marks) would be:
|S No||First Year||Second Year|
|1.||Direct Tax||Direct Tax including International Taxation|
|2.||Indirect Tax||Indirect Tax|
|3.||Internal Audit||Internal Audit|
The first test for both the category of students will be on August 26, 2018. The students who would be completing their 1st/ 2nd year of practical training during the second quarter of 2018, i.e. April- June, 2018 would be eligible to appear in these assessments during August-December, 2018. Similarly, the students completing their 1st/ 2nd year during July-September, 2018 would be required to appear in October-December, 2018 quarter and so on. Concerned students are advised to practice the sample questions uploaded in BoS Knowledge Portal on the Institute website.
Level 1 After 1st Year of CA Training
- Direct Tax
- Indirect Tax
- Internal Audit
Level 2 After 2nd Year of CA Training
- Direct Tax including International Taxation
- Indirect Tax
- Internal Audit
The hunger for more knowledge is good for a CA Student. It is a very good idea to know what others have learnt and re-assess oneself on the basis of learnings so that you become equally competent. This is a good way of improving oneself. We would love to hear from you regarding what all you learnt during your CA Articleship period.
Here you got the brief details about “ICAI to Assess CA Students After Completion of 1st and 2nd Year of Practical Training”. Have any doubts, you can discuss or post your comments or queries in the below comment box or on AfterGraduation forum.
Further details would be hosted through an announcement on the Institute website only. For further clarifications, if any, you may write to PTassessment@icai.in.
Stay in touch with us for more on higher education, Professional course, entrance exams update, Career Guidance among other information. Connect with us on Linkedin, Facebook, and Twitter for more updates on CA, CS, CMA, Other professional courses, Post qualification courses and their preparation.