The council of the Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI) has introduced New Syllabus for CS Executive and Professional Programmes. The revised syllabus of the Company Secretary (CS) course for the Executive and Professional programme is effective from March 1, 2018. The first examination under the new syllabus for CS Executive Programme shall be held in December 2018 and for CS Professional Programme in June 2019.
In the revised CS syllabus, the Core Subjects aim to create expertise in the future Governance Professionals and for this, the following fields have been given emphasis- Company Law, Securities Laws, Insolvency Law, FEMA and GST.
The following areas are covered under the Ancillary Subjects– Accounts, Finance, Taxation, Economic, Business and Commercial Laws and Business and Financial Management. The Ancillary Subjects focus on the creation of working knowledge in order to provide support to the Core areas.
Lastly, Hybrid Subjects ensure integration of Core and Ancillary areas. The Hybrid subjects will cover – Setting up of Business, Risk and Compliance Management, Governance, Drafting, Pleadings and Appearances, Restructuring and Insolvency Resolution, Secretarial Audit and Due Diligence, Corporate Funding, Corporate Disputes etc.
The New Syllabus for CS comprises of Eight papers at Executive Programme and Nine papers at Professional Programme including one elective Paper to be opted by the students out of eight provided elective papers namely, (i) Banking- Law & Practice; (ii) Insurance- Law & Practice; (iii) Intellectual Property Rights- Laws and Practices; (iv) Forensic Audit; (v) Direct Tax Law & Practice; (vi) Labour Laws & Practice; (vii) Valuations & Business Modelling and (viii) Insolvency- Law and Practice.
|Executive Programme||Professional Programme|
|1. Jurisprudence, Interpretation & General Laws||1. Governance, Risk Management, Compliances and Ethics|
|2. Company Law||2. Advanced Tax Laws|
|3. Setting up of Business Entities and Closure||3. Drafting, Pleadings and Appearances|
|4. Tax Laws|
|Module – 2||Module – 2|
|5. Corporate & Management Accounting||4. Secretarial Audit, Compliance Management and Due Diligence|
|6.Securities Laws & Capital Markets||5. Corporate Restructuring, Insolvency, Liquidation & Winding-up|
|7.Economic, Business and Commercial Laws||6. Resolution of Corporate Disputes, Non-Compliances & Remedies|
|8. Financial and Strategic Management|
|Module – 3|
|7.Corporate Funding & Listings in Stock Exchanges|
|8. Multidisciplinary Case Studies (The examination for this paper will be open book examination)|
|9. Electives 1 paper out of below 8 papers
9.1 Banking – Law & Practice
9.2 Insurance– Law & Practice
9.3 Intellectual Property Rights– Laws and Practices
9.4 Forensic Audit
9.5 Direct Tax Law & Practice
9.6 Labour Laws & Practice
9.7 Valuations & Business Modelling
9.8 Insolvency – Law and Practice
(The examination for this paper will be open book examination)
Paperwise Exemption Scheme from Old to New Syllabus for CS
The scheme of paper wise exemption for a switchover from old syllabus to new syllabus for CS is as follows-
|Existing Syllabus (2012)||Paper-wise Exemption under New Syllabus (2017)|
|Company Law||Module 1; Paper 2- Company Law|
|Cost and Management Accounting||Module 2, Paper 5- Corporate and Management Accounting|
|Economic and Commercial Laws||Module 2; Paper 7- Economic, Business and Commercial Laws|
|Tax Laws and Practice||Module 1; Paper 4- Tax Laws|
|Company Accounts and Auditing Practices||Module 2, Paper 5- Corporate and Management Accounting|
|Capital Markets and Securities Laws||Module 2; Paper 6- Securities Laws & Capital Markets|
|Industrial, Labour and General Laws||Module 1; Paper 1- Jurisprudence, Interpretation and General Laws|
|Advanced Company Law and Practice||Module 2; Paper 6 – Resolution of Corporate Disputes, NonCompliances &Remedies|
|Secretarial Audit, Compliance Management and Due Diligence||Module 2; Paper 4 – Secretarial Audit, Compliance Management and Due Diligence|
|Corporate Restructuring, Valuation and Insolvency||Module 2; Paper 5 – Corporate Restructuring, Insolvency, Liquidations &Winding-up|
|Information Technology and Systems Audit||No Exemption|
|Financial, Treasury and Forex Management||Module-3, Paper- 7- Corporate Funding & Listings in Stock Exchanges|
|Ethics, Governance and Sustainability||Module 1; Paper 1- Governance, Risk Management, Compliances and Ethics|
|Advanced Tax Laws and Practice||Module 1; Paper 2 – Advanced Tax Laws|
|Drafting, Appearances and Pleadings||Module 1; Paper 3 – Drafting, Pleadings and Appearances|
|Elective Subjects||Module 3; Paper 9 – Elective paper|
Highlights of New Syllabus For CS
- The metamorphosis from theoretical to the practical approach.
- The objective of the course is to develop a cadre of Company Secretaries by imparting professional knowledge and training considered pre-requisite for the functioning of a Company Secretary- whether in employment or in practice.
- The Candidates are expected to keep track of and have an intelligent grasp of the latest developments in the relevant areas that have taken place up to six months preceding the date of examination.
- Each paper at the Executive and Professional Programme Examination will be of three hours duration and will carry 100 marks.
- The examination for the ‘Multidisciplinary Case Studies’ and ‘Elective Paper’ will be open book examination.
- Further, students registered under Executive and Professional syllabus (2017) shall have to successfully complete a PreExamination Test to become eligible to enrol and appear in the Executive and Professional Examinations.
Applicability of New Syllabus for CS Executive Programme
- The first examination of the Executive Programme under the new syllabus shall be held in December 2018
- Candidates registered effective from March 01, 2018 shall be examined under the new syllabus.
- Candidates registered prior to March 01, 2018 shall be allowed to appear in the Executive Program Examination under the old syllabus up to and including December 2019.
- Candidates registered prior to March 01, 2018 will be permitted to appear in the Executive Program Examination under the new syllabus if they so opt.
- The last examination of the Executive Programme under the old syllabus shall be held in December 2019.
- From and including June 2020, Executive Programme Examination shall be held under the new syllabus only.
Applicability of New Syllabus for CS Professional Programme
- The first examination of the Professional Programme under the new syllabus shall be held in June 2019.
- Candidates registered effective from September 01, 2018 shall be examined under new syllabus.
- Candidates registered prior to September 01, 2018 will be permitted to appear in the Professional Programme Examination under the old syllabus up to and including June 2020.
- Candidates registered prior to September 01, 2018 will be permitted to appear in the Professional Programme Examination under the new syllabus if they so opt.
- The last examination of the Professional Programme under the old syllabus shall be held in June 2020.
- From and including December 2020, Professional Programme Examination shall be held under the new syllabus only.
Here you got the details about “ICSI New Syllabus For CS Executive And Professional Programmes”. Please post your comments or queries regarding ICSI new Syllabus for CS Course, either on our Aftergraduation Forum or in the below comment box.
Connect with us on Linkedin, Facebook, and Twitter for more updates on CA, CS, CMA, Other professional courses, Post qualification courses and their preparation, Higher Education, Professional Courses, Entrance Exams update, Career Guidance, Admission, Placements and other information of Institutes.