IIT Roorkee invited applications for admission to PhD programmes for Autumn Semester of the Session 2018-19 for all departments/centres of the institute. The PhD Admission is available in the categories: Full-time Research student/Candidate and Part-time Research Student/ Candidate. The Institute Assistantship will be provided to Full-Time Regular candidates.
IIT Roorkee PhD Admission Important Dates
|Start of Online Application (Website Open)||February 26, 2018|
|Last Date for submission of Online application (Website Closure)||March 20, 2018|
|Last date for Receiving the application (Hardcopy) at PG Admission Office, IIT Roorkee||March 26, 2018*|
* Institute announced that NO Hard copy of the application shall be accepted after the due date/time. The Institute shall not be responsible for any delay regarding reaching the application.
IIT Roorkee PhD Admission Application Fees and Payment Mode
- Application Fee (non-refundable): Rs. 200/- for General/OBC category and Rs. 100/- for SC/ST/PD category candidate.
- The applicants can deposit the requisite application fee by using net banking or debit/credit card facilities. Additional charges will be applicable as per the rule of the concerned bank. The Fee will not be accepted through any other mode.
- The application fee should be paid in accordance with the number of department/centre, a candidate opts for admission.
- A separate application (Hardcopy) with necessary documents/testimonials to be sent for each department/centre.
Online Application Process for IIT Roorkee PhD Admission
For admission to PhD programmes for Autumn Semester of the session 2018-19 candidates need to register and fill the application ONLINE by accessing the official website on or before March 20, 2018. The application process shall be considered complete only when a print out of the filled ONLINE application with the candidate’s signature, and a good quality photo affixed in the appropriate places is sent to the Institute along with necessary documents/testimonials on or before March 26, 2018.
How to Apply?
Candidates must follow the following Steps while applying online Application Form.
Step 1: Apply for PhD programmes
- Apply online.
- Finalize Application Form
- Pay fee online using option “Proceed for Payment”
- Download Application Form (Take a print out of the entire file on A4 size white sheets)
Step 2: Paste your recent photograph (3.5 cm X 3.5 cm) at the designated place and sign at the designated place.
Step 3: Post/Submission:
- On the top of the envelope, the following should be written: ‘Application for Ph. D. Admission for Autumn Semester 2018-19’.
- Other relevant documents as indicated below should be enclosed-
- GATE/NET Certificate, if applicable
- Copies of all the mark sheets, degree certificates, or provisional certificate.
- Sc. Degree holders should submit the proof of mathematics as a subject at bachelor’s level. The applicability of this requirement is specified in the Discipline wise Minimum Educational Qualification.
- Copy of OBC/SC/ST/PD category certificate as applicable.
- Copy of experience of two years as on March 26, 2018, and NOC from the employer, in case the candidate is sponsored.
Duly filled-in Application form with appropriate enclosures must be reached by Post /courier or handed over to The PG ADMISSION OFFICE, INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY ROORKEE, ROORKEE-247667, UTTARAKHAND on or before March 26, 2018, up to 5:30 p.m.
IIT Roorkee PhD Admission Eligibility
An applicant belonging to the Full-Time / Part-Time Research admission for the PhD programme of the Institute should possess the following qualifications in appropriate areas to be eligible to apply.
- Masters degree or equivalent in respective discipline with a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 6.00 on a 10 point scale or equivalent as determined by the Institute wherever letter grades are awarded; or 60% marks in aggregate (of all the years/semesters) where marks are awarded, for the GENERAL (UR) category and qualified national level graduate entrance test: GATE/UGC-NET/CSIR-NET or equivalent or holding a national level fellowship. The condition for national level graduate admission test is not applicable to sponsored full-time and part-time research candidates.
- B.Tech. / B.Arch. degree or equivalent in respective discipline from CFTIs with an excellent academic record (with a minimum CGPA of 7.00 on a 10 point scale or 70% marks) with GATE.
- Graduates from the IITs getting a CGPA score of 8.00 or above (on the scale of 10) would be entitled to the assistantship without having to appear in GATE.
- The candidates pursuing master’s programs in Engineering or Architecture from IIT Roorkee having CGPA of at least 8.50 on a 10 point scale (after first year/ completing all courses) shall have a choice of internal lateral entry in to Ph.D. programme after completing all requirements of the first two semesters of first year of the Master’s programme.
- The admission eligibility requirements may be relaxed to 5.5 on a 10 point scale or equivalent, or to 55% marks to the SC/ST candidates with Master’s degree or equivalent degree and any category of PD (Persons with different abilities) candidate holding Master’s degree or equivalent degree.
Note: Candidates belonging to OBC category must submit a copy of category certificate as per GOI, the format of the same is also available on the Institute website, OBC Noncreamy layer certificate should have been issued after 31.03.2017 by a competent authority.
Eligibility for Part-time PhD Admission
The applicant possesses the minimum entry qualifications for the degree as given;
- The applicant proves that his official duties permit him to devote sufficient time to research;
- He / She will be required to reside at the Institute for a period till he/she is admitted for candidacy. (This condition of minimum residency period will be automatically waived for candidates who are working in Roorkee or in Organizations / Institutions located within a distance of 100 km from the Institute).
- The facility of part-time registration will also be available to all employees of the IIT Roorkee or candidates working in organizations having MoU with IITR or organizations approved by IIT Roorkee as Research Centres. Such applicants are exempted from the requirement of having GATE/NET/GPAT.
- The applicants must have been in continuous service with the sponsoring organization for at least two years at the time of registration for admission.
- The candidates working in Institute/ University awarding PhD degree itself are not eligible for admission as a part-time or full-time candidate if facilities are not available except QIP candidates.
Name of Departments / Centres of IIT Roorkee
- Alternate Hydro Energy Centre (AHC)
- Hydrology (HYD)
- Architecture and Planning (ARD)
- Management Studies (DBM)
- Biotechnology (BTD)
- Mathematics (MAD)
- Civil Engineering (CED)
- Mechanical and Industrial Engg. (MED)
- Chemical Engineering (CHD)
- Metallurgical and Materials Engg. (MTD)
- Chemistry (CYD)
- Physics (PHD)
- Computer Science & Engineering (CSD)
- Water Resources Development and Management (WRD)
- Electronics and Communication Engg. (ECD)
- Institute Instrumentation Centre (IIC)
- Earthquake Engineering (EQD)
- Centre for Transportation Systems (TSC)
- Earth Sciences (ESD)
- Centre for Disaster Mitigation & Management (TSC)
- Electrical Engineering (EED)
- Centre for Nanotechnology (NTC)
- Humanities and Social Sciences (HSD)
Saharanpur Campus (IIT Roorkee)
- Applied Science & Engineering (ASE)
- Polymer & Process Engineering (PPE)
- Paper Technology (PPD)
If you have any other queries about IIT Roorkee PhD Admission Procedure, you can write your queries in the comment box given below or discuss through AfterGraduation Forum. Stay in touch with us for more on higher education, Professional course, Career Enhancement Programmes, Entrance exams update, among education other information through Linkedin, Facebook, and Twitter.