Candidates appearing for Petroleum Engineering (PE) subject in GATE 2020 must know Petroleum Engineering GATE 2020 Syllabus, Best reference books to study, GATE 2020 Exam Pattern and preparation tips of the subject for better GATE score. GATE 2020 Petroleum Engineering aspirants are required to check the eligibility criteria and then fill the GATE 2020 application form from September 3, 2019, onwards.
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering, GATE 2020 is a national level examination to be conducted by IIT Delhi on 01, 02, 08 and 09 February. The GATE score is a gateway for admissions to postgraduate studies in engineering (ME, MTech, MS, Direct PhD) in top premier technical institutes and also give an option by PSUs recruitment.
As far as guidance concerned, AfterGraduation brings the Syllabus, books to be referred for Petroleum Engineering GATE preparation, understanding the GATE pattern and basic mantras to prepare and score well in GATE 2020 Petroleum Engineering. This article will help the candidates who are appearing to GATE 2020 Petroleum Engineering examination.
In this article, we will let you know about the GATE 2020 exam pattern for Petroleum engineering, Petroleum Engineering GATE preparation tips and basic mantras to score well in GATE 2020 Petroleum Engineering.
Petroleum Engineering GATE 2020 Exam Pattern
The GATE 2020 examination will be a computer-based with two types of questions- Objective type and Numerical Type. In Numerical Type, some numerical value has to be answered without any probable options provided.
|Examination Mode||Computer-based (Online)Test|
|No. of questions||65|
|Sections||General Aptitude (15%), Mathematics (15%) and Petroleum Engineering (70%)|
- General Aptitude: 5 questions carry 1 mark each while the other 5 questions carry 2 marks each. Aptitude questions are generally based on basic Maths and English skills. Concentrate more on General Aptitude (GA) as this will be quite easy to score more.
- Mathematics: 5 questions carry 1 mark each and other 5 questions carry 2 marks each. The course for the Mathematics portion is vast but the questions asked are relatively easy. Most questions are simple, short and based on direct application of formulae.
- Petroleum Engineering: 20 questions carry 1 mark each and the rest 25 questions carry 2 marks for every correct answer. GATE Petroleum Engineering syllabus consists of special and core topics which are taken from your 4 years engineering course.
Note: There is no negative marking for Numerical Type. However, a 1/3rd negative marking will be done for both 1 and 2 marks question of MCQ for any wrong response
GATE 2020 Study Plan and Preparation Strategy
- Take a print out of the GATE 2020 PE syllabus and mark the details of your comfortability over the different topic in the exam.
- You can start preparation with the subjects that are common to your current semester and GATE exam, or some tough subjects you have already done in previous semesters.
- Engineering Mathematics and General Aptitude constitute 30 marks of the total marks in the GATE Petroleum Engineering question paper. It is imperative that you place emphasis on the preparation of these sections. Preparing for them and doing them well will ensure a good score.
- Note the important concept and formulae during the preparation. Whenever you find some important trick while solving problems, note it down in your handbook. This would be useful in revising in the last days of exam.
- Make small targets, daily targets, weekly targets for preparation with practice questions. At this stage, completing 3-4 topics including the mock test every day would be okay. Revise each topic completed, after 7-15 days so that you don’t forget it.
- Take help of your seniors and faculty while preparing for GATE Petroleum Engineering as they are far more experienced able to guide you in this regard.
- Take a break of a day in between subjects, if you feel things are getting hectic.
- Study in the best manner that is suited to you. Scheduling and planning are very important.
- Have faith and confidence in yourself. Request your friends and parents to motivate you daily. The most difficult task would be to keep up your motivation high since the time is long.
- Don’t ever think about the results. Keep doing your share of efforts.
Practise GATE Sample Papers
Experts and Toppers firmly believe that one of the important exercises during GATE Preparation is practice with the help of previous year GATE papers. You get all of them on the GATE website. There are many advantages to this:
- GATE Question Paper Pattern becomes familiar.
- The type of questions that may be asked in the actual exam can be generally gauged along with the difficulty levels of questions with constant practice.
- With more practice, you can improve your speed and hone your time management skills.
- You can plan your exam strategy by solving as many as possible sample papers.
GATE Mock Test
The mock test is the simulation of the GATE exam and is online. Aspirants are advised to attempt it so that they get a fair idea of the actual entrance test. The GATE Mock Test will have an online calculator, timer and, will just be like the actual GATE exam. So it is advantageous to attempt it in order to get a feel of the exam.
Cracking GATE examination requires proper preparation strategy, determination and focus. It requires constant efforts towards each subject in clearing up the basic concepts to obtain good marks.
We would love your inputs and suggestions to bring more useful articles for GATE aspirants. Drop all your queries or comments on our AfterGraduation Forum or in the below comment box and we would be happy to help you.
Stay connected through Linkedin, Facebook, and Twitter for regular updates on Higher Education, Professional courses, Career Enhancement Programmes, Entrance exams and Preparations, Jobs/Career among other information related to Education and Career