India’s growing startup and eCommerce industry hold tremendous potential for India’s economic growth. E-commerce is the future of revenue growth for many Businesses, Marketing and Digital professionals would be wise to keep that in mind and shape their career paths and skill stacks accordingly. From web design to business strategist, the possibilities of the career in eCommerce world are numerous — and growing every year.
If you’ve been struggling to make career progress lately or don’t see much opportunity in your future, it may be prudent to look at eCommerce-based firms for open positions.
Ecommerce is a hot, rapidly expanding sector, throwing up thousands of new job opportunities every year. Financial sectors like jobs & matrimonial, insurance, online classifieds, online transactions are expected to rise in future. Apart from the travel industry, digital downloads and e-tailing, that surrounds buy of home or kitchen appliances, electronic items and jewellery or ornaments will expand in future.
Ecommerce has transformed the way business is done in India. The Indian eCommerce market is expected to grow to US$ 200 billion by 2026 from US$ 38.5 billion as of 2017 (approx data). The value of e-commerce market is expected to cross US$ 50 billion by 2018.
Reasons You Should Consider The Career in eCommerce
The eCommerce business is piping hot at the moment and everybody wants in: investors, retailers, and of course, the job seekers.
- E-Commerce is big and growing, it has been predicted that it will grow around 17% in next few years. So it’s obvious that career in this will grow as the industry grows.
- E-Commerce Imparts Managerial Skills, working in this industry exposes you to all aspects of a business like marketing, setting the price, supply chain management, customer support and acquisition etc. There are many jobs comes with the little puzzle but no job delivers you the complete experience of everything.
- The beauty of e-Commerce is the instant feedback you receive from customers. Compared to traditional forms of selling, this feedback is a great advantage.
- Hastens your learning curve by giving you access to real-time results data.
Main Sectors & the Top Companies in Indian Ecommerce Business
Aspirants who have completed their degrees can go for various e-commerce sectors. The Sectors available for degree stakeholders are such as travelling, retail and marketplace, deals, classified portal, education etc. eCommerce Industry in India is divided primarily into 6 major segments:
- Travelling / Ticketing – Redbus, Cleartrip, MakeMyTrip, Yatra, Thrillophillia etc.
- Retail(R) & Marketplace (M) – Shopperstop (R), Flipkart (M), Snapdeal (M), BigBasket (R), PayTm etc.
- Deals – GroupOn, CashKaro etc.
- Education – AfterGraduation, Edureka,
- Classified portals – Shaadi.com, Naukri.com etc.
- Hyperlocals – Grofers, PepperTap, Swiggy
List of Job Titles/Career in eCommerce
|Job title||Qualification||Work to do|
|Content manager||Bachelor in Mass Communication||You should have a complete knowledge of product so that you can present a write up of its complexity|
|Marketing||Bachelors degree + MBA in marketing||Promoting and selling a product to customer as this same all over the world|
|Design||Bachelors in design/ fine arts
Masters in design/fine arts
|Color blend, photography, prompt feedback, UI/UX design|
|Coordinator||Any graduate||Other Production or Maintenance|
|Supply chain||B.Tech + MBA (retail or SCM)||This is one of the important role as this has the direct connect with customers|
|Web developer||B.Tech in IT||website development, Digital marketing, payment gateway integration|
|B.Com + MBA (finance) or C.A||Major focus on accounts or payments|
|Business analyst||B.Tech (worked in IT in a BA role)
MBA (Retail/ SCM) – Fresher
|He/she understands the business and customer needs and articulate it in a comprehensive way|
Courses and Eligibility in eCommerce
Different colleges and institutions of India offers a variety of courses in the field of e-commerce these include degree courses, diploma courses and certificate courses. Here we have mentioned some most popular courses opted by students in this field :
Degree Courses in eCommerce
- B.M. (e commerce)
- B.Com in E-Commerce
- Bachelor of Science in E-business
- MBA in E-Commerce Management
- M.Sc in E-Commerce
- M.Sc in Information Technology & E-Commerce
- M.Sc in E-Commerce & Web Design
- PGPM in E-Commerce Management
E-Commerce Diploma Courses
- Advanced Diploma in e-Commerce
- Diploma in e commerce
- Post graduate diploma in e commerce
E-Commerce Certificate Courses
- Certification in E-Commerce
- Diploma in E-Commerce
- Advanced Diploma in E-Commerce
- PG Diploma in E-Commerce & Web Technologies
Students can apply for undergraduate courses after passing 12th oe equivalent exam. For admissions in master courses, candidates must have completed their Bachelor’s degree in related discipline.
Universities and Colleges Offering Courses in E-Commerce
- Institute of technology and management ( Tamil Nadu)
- National college Trichy NCT (Tamil Nadu)
- Sidharth government degree college (Himachal Pradesh)
- Periyar University (Tamil Nadu)
- Abasaheb Parvekar college (Maharashtra)
- CCIT (Punjab)
- Kula women’s college (Manipur)
Salaries in eCommerce Sector
According to the data, e-commerce companies such as Snapdeal and Shopclues, the annual salary for senior level executive goes up to Rs 1.5 to 3 crore. The mid-level employees with about 14years of experience can earn around Rs 50 lakhs to 1.5 crore annually. One reason why e-commerce companies are ready to pay high salaries is their fast pace of growth.
Here you got the details about the career in eCommerce. Have any doubts so you can discuss with us via the AfterGraduation forumor post your comments or queries in the below comment box. Stay in touch with us for more on higher education, Professional course, entrance exams update, Career Guidance among other information through Linkedin, Facebook, and Twitter.