The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE 2018) application process is started from September 1, 2017, through GATE official website. Candidates who wish to apply for admission in post graduate courses and direct doctoral programs in engineering, technology, architecture and in other branches of science at all IITs, NITs and Indian Institute of Science (IISc) can apply online through GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS) website and required to clear GATE 2018 exam.
The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Guwahati will conduct the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) in February next year. The exam will be conducted for 23 subjects and is scheduled for February 3 and 4, and February 10 and 11, 2018. The last date to submit the online application is October 5, 2017.
From 2012, the examination has also been used by the PSUs in their recruitment process. The number of PSUs using the GATE score has steadily increased. Several Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) such as Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL), Gas Authority of India Limited (GAIL), Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL), National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC), Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL), Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) and Power Grid Corporation of India (PGCI) also use GATE scores for recruitment and shortlist the candidates for employment.
GATE 2018 Important Dates
Application process begins- September 1, 2017
Last date to apply- October 5, 2017
Admit cards- January 5, 2018
GATE 2018- February 3, 4 and February 10, 11, 2018 (9 am to 12 pm and 2 pm to 5 pm)
Results- March 17, 2018
There is no age limit for GATE 2018. Candidates should be graduating BE, BTech, BPharmacy, BArch, BSc (Research), BS, MA, MSc, MCA, Int MSc or Int BSMS in 2018. If not the above then they should have be completing their Int ME, MTech (post BSc) or a dual degree after 10+2 by 2019-20.
UnReserved Category – Rs 1,500
Women Candidates – Rs 750
SC/ST/PwD- Rs 750
International Students – $ 50
Online only through Net Banking or Debit/Credit Cards. Additional bank charges may be applicable.
Documents Required for Application
- Personal information including name, date of birth and personal mobile number.
- Postal Address of communication.
- Eligibility degree details like name of degree, year of passing, branch/specialization.
- College name and address.
- GATE choice of subject and exam centre.
- Scanned Image of candidate’s photograph and signature.
- Scanned copy of Eligibility Certificate.
- Scanned copy of Reserved category certificates in pdf format.
- ID proof detail: Only Passport/PAN Card/Voter ID/Aadhaar UID/Driving License/College ID/Employee ID card.
- Bank details for Online fee payment
Specifications for Photograph and Signature
- You must scan a color passport size photo with a white or a light color background taken after August 1, 2017, in a professional studio. Any other photo taken by other means may result in rejection.
- Size of the photograph must be 3.5 cm (Width) x 4.5 cm (Height).
- File format should be JPEG only on a standard 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm (Width x Height) print.
- The maximum dimensions ca be 480 x 640 pixels (0.3 Mega pixels) while the minimum can be 240 x 320 pixels.
- You should ensure that at least 50% of the area of the photograph is covered by your face with a full-face view looking into the camera directly.
- Ensure that the face is not hidden by the hair of the head, any cloth or any shadow. Forehead, eyes, nose, and chin should be clearly visible.
- Candidates wearing spectacles can remove the spectacles and take the photograph to avoid any red glares. Dark or tinted glasses are not allowed.
ALSO READ: Guidance On How To Prepare For GATE Exam
- Draw a rectangular box of size 2 cm (Height) x 7 cm (Width) on an A4 white paper.
- Sign with black or dark blue ink pen within this box.
- Mind that the signature is not in CAPITAL letters or any other ink color.
- Scan the rectangular box (with your signature inside) by using a professional scanner. Crop it to the border of the box.
- Only JPEG image format will be accepted.
- The maximum image size for the signature can be 160×560 in pixels while the minimum image size for the signature should be 80×280 in pixels.
How to Apply GATE 2018
Step 2: Get registered as a new user using valid email ID and mobile number.
Step 3: After registration, candidates will get their enrollment ID and password.
Step 4: Once you login, you will be provided a link to the GATE 2018 brochure. Read through the brochure carefully and click on the check that says “I hereby declare that…” and click on the button “Start GATE 2018 Application Form”.
Step 5: Fill the GATE 2018 application form.
Step 6: Upload photograph, signature and other required documents and details.
Step 7: Click on the box to confirm that you have verified your details. View the application and save it before clicking on “Submit and proceed to payment”.
Step 8: Pay the fees online through net banking or debit card.
Step 9: Download and take a print out of the registration and application submitted.
GATE 2018 Exam Pattern
The exam consists of two sections containing 65 questions in total. The paper will be for 100 marks which candidates will have three hours to score. The paper will contain questions on general aptitude (15 marks), engineering mathematics (10-13 marks) and core engineering area of the candidate.
The questions will be of both multiple choice type and fill in the blanks type. While the Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) have negative markings for wrong answers, the numerical fill in the blanks type questions does not have any negative marking scheme.
All the very Best to GATE 2018 Aspirants. Please post your Query or Comments regarding this article, on our Aftergraduation Forum. Connect with us for for all latest updates on GATE 2018 through Facebook and Twitter.