GATE 2019 is being conducted by IIT- MADRAS tentatively during the first half of February 2019. The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is a national level examination for engineering graduates administered and conducted jointly by the IISc Bangalore and other seven IITs on behalf of the National Coordinating Board (NCB)-GATE, Department of Education, Ministry of Human Resources Development in eight zones across the country.
The GATE rank/score is used for admissions to Postgraduate Programmes (ME, M.Tech, MS, Direct PhD) in institutes like IITs and IISc and other with financial assistance offered by MHRD. GATE scores are also used by the Public Sector Units (PSUs) for recruiting individuals for various prestigious government jobs with attractive remuneration.
Determine your Stream for GATE 2019
This exam has some related categories but it is very important that you determine for which stream you are appearing for. In GATE examination, candidates can choose one from a buffet of 23 papers or streams appropriately according to the discipline of their qualifying degree. The exam has the following 23 streams/disciplines available –
- Aerospace Engineering: AE
- Agricultural Engineering: AG
- Architecture and Planning: AR
- Biotechnology: BT
- Civil Engineering: CE
- Chemical Engineering: CH
- Computer Science and Information Technology: CS
- Chemistry: CY
- Electronics and Communication Engineering: EC
- Electrical Engineering: EE
- Ecology and Evolution: EY
- Geology and Geophysics: GG
- Instrumentation Engineering: IN
- Mathematics: MA
- Mechanical Engineering: ME
- Mining Engineering: MN
- Metallurgical Engineering: MT
- Physics: PH
- Production and Industrial Engineering: PI
- Textile Engineering and Fibre Science: TF
- Engineering Sciences: XE
- Life Sciences: XL
However, candidates are free to choose any stream, but the eligibility criteria of the desired institutions should be kept in mind. The eligibility criteria for different colleges and institutions can be checked on their respective official websites.
GATE 2019 Important Dates
There is no official announcement of important dates for GATE 2019 by IIT- Madras yet there are some tentative dates.
|The release of Notification||First week of July 2018|
|GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS)
Website Opens for Enrolment, Application
Filling, Application Submission
|Fourth week of August 2018|
|Last Date for Submission of Online
|Second week of October 2018|
|Last Date for Request for Change in the
Choice of Examination City via GOAPS login
|Third Week of November 2018|
|Availability of GATE 2019 Mock Test||Third week of November 2018|
|Availability of Admit Card on the Online
Application Interface for printing
|Second Week of January 2019|
|GATE 2019 Online Examination Dates||First week and Second week of February 2019|
|The release of GATE 2019 Response Sheets||Third week of February 2019|
|GATE 2019 Answer Key||Last week of February 2019|
|Announcement of Results on the Online Application Website||Third week of March 2019|
|Scorecard Release||Third week/ Fourth week of March 2019|
GATE 2019 Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for GATE 2019 is:
- The candidates should be of Indian nationality. Other than India, candidates belonging to Nepal, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Singapore and the United Arab Emirates are also eligible for GATE 2019.
- Educational Requirement – Candidate should have completed or should be in their final year of Bachelor of Technology/Engineering/(B.Tech/B.E.) program or Post-Graduate (M.Sc) program in any relevant science subject.
- There is no age limit for GATE applicants.
Following Graduate degrees are eligible for qualifying for GATE 2019:
- B.Sc (Research)/B.S
- B.Sc./MCA/M.A. or equivalent
- Dual Degree (after Diploma or 10+2) or Integrated M.E./M.Tech
- Integrated M.E/M.Tech (Post – B.Sc)
- Integrated M.Sc./Integrated B.S-M.S
- Professional Society Examination (equivalent to B.E./B.Tech/B.Arch)
GATE 2019 Application Form
IIT Madras is yet to release the application form for GATE 2019 and the tentative dates are the fourth week of August 2018. The entire registration process is done through GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS). The final date to submit the filled application form is expected to be around the second week of October 2018.
Steps to fill and submit the application form of GATE 2019:
- Step 1 – Registration: Candidate has to register for GATE 2019 through GOAP. Valid email ID, name, mobile number and other details are required to be submitted by the candidate. After registration, an enrollment number will be generated and a password will be created by the candidate.
- Step 2 – Filling of Application Form: Next, the candidates will have to submit their personal, contact, college, academic, valid photo id details and GATE paper selection and exam centres selection details.
- Step 3 – Payment of Application Fees: Online payment has to be made i.e., through credit card/debit card/net banking.
- Step 4 – Submission of Application Form: Finally, the candidates will have to submit their filled application form.
Application Fees of GATE 2019 is Rs. 1500 for Male Category (General/OBC) whereas Rs. 750 for SC/ST/PWD and Women candidates. International students from Dubai and Singapore have to pay US$ 100 whereas international students from Colombo, Dhaka, Addis Ababa and Kathmandu have to pay US$ 50.
GATE 2019 Exam Pattern
GATE is an annually conducted examination in online mode. Duration of the exam is 180 minutes (3 hours) comprising of 65 questions consisting of one or two marks each. There are a total of 23 papers as mentioned above. Maximum obtainable marks for the examination is 100.
The examination is divided into two sections– General Aptitude (GA) which comprise 10 out of 65 questions and subject selected by the candidate which comprise of 55 questions. The examination comprises of Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) and Numerical Answer Type (NAT) Questions. The questions are designed to test various abilities of candidates like Recalling, Comprehension, Application, Analysis, and Synthesis.
Marks distribution of questions in almost all papers is as follows: Engineering Mathematics with 15 Marks weightage, Technical Questions with 70 Marks weightage and General Aptitude with 15 Marks weightage making a total of 100 marks. Subjects not concerning Engineering Mathematics have 85 marks weightage given to the main subject. 1/3 marks will be deducted for the incorrect attempt of questions carrying 1 mark while 1/2 marks will be cut for the incorrect attempt of questions carrying 2 marks.
The GATE score is valid for 3 years for a particular individual. It is estimated that around 9 lakh people will appear for GATE 2019.
Preparation Strategy for GATE 2019
- Browse through the GATE syllabus for topics allotted more weightage and prepare them.
- GATE examination consists only of multiple and numerical answer type questions, hence only correct answer fetches marks.
- Practice previous year and model question papers and analyze the weak topics and concentrate on them. Try to solve the papers in a given time limit to obtain an idea as to how many questions are solved within the allotted time.
- Emphasise equally on both theory and numerical problems.
- Use Group Study as an effective way to sharpen knowledge about technical topics with fellow aspirants and explore new methods and techniques to better understand the topics with them.
- Do not make wild guesses as there is negative marking associated with the questions.
- Prepare the list of important laws, equations, definitions, theorems, derivations in every subject.
- Pay more attention while attempting common data and linked questions.
If you have any queries or comments for multiple options after GATE, you can post either on the AfterGraduation Forum or in the below comment box. Stay in touch with us for updates on higher education, Professional course, Career Enhancement Programmes, Entrance exams update, among education other information through Linkedin, Facebook, and Twitter.