GATE 2020 exam will be conducted by Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi tentatively in the first and second week of February 2020. The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is a national level examination for engineering graduates administered and conducted jointly by the IISc Bangalore and other seven IITs. GATE will be organized for 24 papers including a new paper of Statistics which was added in the last year. This is a computer-based (Online mode) entrance exam conducting two sessions per day.
The scores of GATE 2020 will be valid for a period of three years from the date of the release of the result which is tentatively in the third week of March. The scores of GATE will be used for admission purposes in the IITs through the Common Online Admission Portal (COAP) for IITs and CCMT for NITs. Application form of GATE 2020 will be available tentatively from the first week of September 2019 while admit card will be released tentatively in December.
The GATE rank/score is used for admissions to Postgraduate Programmes (ME, M.Tech, MS, Direct PhD) in institutes like IITs, IISc, NITs and other with financial assistance offered by MHRD. The Public Sector Units (PSUs) also use GATE scores for recruiting individuals for junior engineer and other various prestigious government posts with attractive remuneration.
Please read the further article for the information about important dates, eligibility criteria, application process, exam pattern of GATE 2020 below-
Important Dates – GATE 2020
Below given table have the important events and their tentative dates regarding GATE 2020 :-
|S.no||Important Events||Dates (Tentative)|
|1||Registration Starting Date||First week of September 2019|
|2||Application form submission last date||Fourth week of September 2019|
|3||Application correction window opens||Fourth week of November 2019|
|4||Last date to register with late fee||First week of October 2019|
|5||Last date to make changes in exam city by paying an additional fee||Third week of November 2019|
|6||Availability of Mock Test||November 2019|
|7||Admit Card download date||1st week of January 2020|
|8||GATE 2020 Exam||First to the Second week of February 2020|
|9||Answer Key Releases||February 2020|
|10||Results Declaration||Third week of March 2020|
|11||Release of GATE 2020 Score Card||Third week of March to last week of May 2020|
|12||Starting of the Counselling process||First week of April 2020|
Eligibility Criteria – GATE 2020
Candidates are requested to go through the complete eligibility criteria of GATE 2020 :-
- Candidates must have a graduation degree of B.E/B.Tech.
- The candidates who are in their final year of graduation can also apply for GATE.
- Only Indian nationals can apply for this entrance exam.
- As per now their is no age limit in GATE 2020.
Below given are the name of degrees holders that can also apply for GATE 2020
- Sc (Research)/B.S
- Sc./MCA/M.A. or equivalent
- Dual Degree (after Diploma or 10+2) or Integrated M.E./M.Tech
- Integrated M.E/M.Tech (Post – B.Sc)
- Integrated M.Sc./Integrated B.S-M.S
- Professional Society Examination (equivalent to B.E./B.Tech/B.Arch)
GATE Streams and Codes
Below given table have the name of the GATE papers and their codes.
|S.no||GATE Subject Code||GATE Papers|
|3||AR||Architecture and Planning|
|7||CS||Computer Sc. and Information Technology|
|9||EC||Electronics and Communication Engg.|
|11||EY||Ecology and Evolution|
|12||GG||Geology and Geophysics|
|20||PI||Production and Industrial Engineering|
|22||TF||Textile Engineering and Fibre Science|
Application Form – GATE 2020
IIT Delhi will release the application forms for GATE 2020 in the first week of September 2019, the application process will be done through online mode. The last date to submit the application form will be in the first week of October 2019.
- Candidate has to register themselves through GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS) on the official website of GATE 2020.
- Candidates have to enter all the details asked in the application form.
- Candidates have to upload their scanned passport size photograph and signature. The file format should be jpeg/jpg.
- After filling the form completely candidates have to pay the application form fees. The fees should be paid through online mode via Credit/Debit card or net banking.
Exam Pattern – GATE 2020
The GATE 2020 exam pattern details are given below-
- The mode of GATE 2020 examination will be online.
- The time duration of exam is 3 hours (180 Minutes).
- Exam paper will conatin Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) and Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions.
- The exam will be of 100 marks containing 65 questions consisting of one or two marks each.
- The examination paper is divided into two sections– General Aptitude (GA) which comprise 10 out of 65 questions and other is subject selected by the candidate which comprise of 55 questions.
- Marks distribution of questions in almost all papers is as follows: Engineering Mathematics with 15 Marks weightage, Technical Questions with 70 Marks weightage and General Aptitude with 15 Marks weightage making a total of 100 marks. Examination Paper (Subjects) not concerning Engineering Mathematics has 85 marks weightage given to the main subject.
- Multiple Choice Questions will have negative marking. One-Third of the maximum mark (1/3 marks) will be deducted for the incorrect response of questions carrying 1 mark while 1/2 marks will be deducted for the incorrect attempt of questions carrying 2 marks.
- No negative markings for Numerical Answer Type questions, zero marks will be provided to the unattempted questions.
Marking Scheme of GATE 2020
|S.No||Paper Code||General Aptitude (GA) Marks||Engineering Mathematics||Subject Marks||Total Marks|
|1||AE, AR, AG, BT, CE, CH, CS, CY, EC, EE, EY, GG, IN, MA, ME, MN, MT, PE, PH, PI, ST and TF.||15||15||70||100|
|2||XE (Section A + Any Two Sections)||15||NA||15 + 2 x 35||100|
|3||XL (Section P + Any Two Sections)||15||NA||25 + 2 x 30||100|
The GATE score for a particular individual is valid for 3 years after the announcement of the results. It is estimated that around 10 lakh people will appear for GATE 2020.
If you have any queries or comments for GATE 2020, you can post either on the AfterGraduation Forum or in the below comment box.