Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) is the well-known law entrance exam conducted by 19 National Law Universities (NLUs) on the rotational basis every year for admissions to their Under-Graduate (UG)/Post-Graduate (PG) Law degree programmes. Candidates who are seeking admission in integrated LL.B. and LL.M. programme in 2019 can start preparing now for CLAT 2019.
The journey of CLAT started in 2008 and today more than 50,000 students prepare for the entrance exam every year to secure a seat in one of the prestigious Law School of Country, National Law University including NLSIU Bangalore-the Harvard of the East. Candidates can also get admission into different government & private law colleges all over the country, on the basis of CLAT Score.
Last year (2017), it was managed by the Chanakya National Law University Patna and this year NUALS Kochi (National University of Advanced Legal Studies Kochi) is to conduct CLAT 2018 in the month of May 2018. CLAT 2019 would be an online exam conducted by National Law University Odisha (NLUO), Cuttack to evaluate a candidate’s skills of Logical Reasoning, English, General Knowledge, Legal Aptitude and Mathematics.
The paper pattern is entirely different for UG and PG courses. The exam will be conducted in English language only. Candidates can check details of CLAT 2019 Exam Pattern along with the marking scheme further in this AfterGraduation’s article.
CLAT 2019 Important Dates
Below are the important dates related to CLAT 2019:
|Events||Exam Dates (tentative)|
|Issuing for the first admission notification||Second week of Dec 2018|
|Availability of the online application||First week of Jan 2019|
|Last date to submit the filled-in online application form||Last week of Mar 2019|
|Availability of the Admit Card||Third week of Apr 2019|
|CLAT 2019 Entrance Exam||Second week of May 2019|
|Availability of the Answer Key||Second week of May 2019|
|CLAT 2019 result declaration||third week of May 2019|
|The release of Merit List||first week of June 2019|
|Starting for the Counseling||first week of June 2019|
CLAT 2019 Eligibility Criteria
For UG Programmes:
- The ones who are appearing for under graduation programmes need to have cleared 10+2 or equivalent with at least 45% marks if they belong to Unreserved/OBC/SAP categories or at least they need to have 40% if they belong to SC/ST category.
- The candidates who are appearing for 10+2 or equivalent exam can also apply for the examination.
- Also, ensure that candidates show the passing qualifying application at the time of admission procedure.
- There is no age limit to be worried about.
For PG Programmes:
- Candidates who have cleared their LL.B. or relevant degree with minimum 55% marks in the categories like Unreserved/OBC/SAP and minimum 50% marks in the categories like SC and ST can fill the application form.
- At the time of admission, candidates required to show the proof of the qualifying examination.
- There is no age limit to apply for it for PG courses.
CLAT 2019 Exam Pattern
For UG Courses
- Questions: The question paper comprises of 200 marks.
- Marking Scheme: 1 mark for each correct answer will be awarded and there will be a negative marking of 0.25 marks for each wrong response.
- Duration: The duration of examination will be 2 hours.
|English including comprehension||40 marks|
|General knowledge & current affairs||50 marks|
|Elementary mathematics (numerical ability)||20 marks|
|Legal aptitude||50 marks|
|Logical reasoning||40 marks|
For PG Courses
- Questions: 150 MCQ type questions
- Duration: 2 hours.
- Marking Scheme: 1 mark will be rewarded for each correct response and there will be a penalty of 0.25 marks for each wrong response.
|Constitutional Law||50 marks|
|Other subjects such as contract, torts, criminal law, international law, IPR etc.||50 marks|
CLAT 2018 Syllabus
The paper of CLAT 2018 will contain 200 questions and from five different subjects involving English (Comprehension), General Knowledge & Current Affairs, Elementary Mathematics (Numerical Ability), Legal Aptitude and Logical Reasoning. It shall be conducted in an online mode. Scope and coverage of questions under different subject areas:
English including comprehension: This section is based on comprehension passages and grammar to test the knowledge of candidates in English.
General Knowledge and Current Affairs: General awareness with static general knowledge will be tested in General Knowledge. Knowledge of national and international current affairs will also be tested by the candidates.
Mathematics: To test the candidate’s knowledge of elementary mathematics i.e. maths taught up to 10th Class/standard.
Legal Aptitude: Candidates will be tested on this topic to know their interest towards study of law, research aptitude and problem-solving ability. Legal propositions, and a set of facts to which said proposition has to be applied may be included. Some propositions may not be “true” in the real sense, but an assumption of “truth” of these propositions will have to be made by the candidates according to the questions.
Logical Reasoning: Ability of candidates can be judged through the identification of patterns, logical links and rectify illogical arguments. Syllogisms, logical sequences, analogies, etc. may be included in logical reasoning.
CLAT 2019 Application Form
The CLAT 2019 Application Form provided through the online mode from the official portal. Before filling the application form, candidates must be sure to scan their documents like a photograph, SC/ST/SAP certificate (if applicable), signature, and domicile certificate (if applicable). Candidates can submit their application form through online only. It should be noted that candidates must submit their forms on time; otherwise, it will be considered non-applicable. Thus, the last date will be tentative in month March 2019.
Application Fee: Fees of the application form can be made via ‘challan’ or through online mode using net banking/credit card or debit card. It is Rs. 4,000 for UR/OBC/SAP category and Rs. 3,500 for SC/ST category. The fee won’t be refunded.
CLAT 2019 Admit Card
Use the online mode to download the admit card from the official website. The availability of the admit card will be from the third week of April month. Admit card will not be available from any other modes such as e-mail or by post. It is mandatory to keep the admit card with you while you enter the examination center.
CLAT 2019 Preparation Tips
- Prepare a schedule for the study on a regular basis and make a proper timetable.
- Solve the previous year’s CLAT sample papers and do the practice of the questions.
- For the good results, you can also join the coaching classes from any experienced faculty.
- Select the books and material related to the course.
- The main important thing is that you have to study on your own or the self-study is necessary for the better preparation.
- Make a habit to read the newspaper, magazines and articles on the regular basis from the very first day.
- The last and the final important tip is “STAY HEALTHY”.
CLAT Counseling 2019
After the declaration of result, first indicative seat allocation list on the basis of merit-cum-preference in the first week of June 2019 will be released by the authority. The details of CLAT Counseling 2019 process are given below:
- Centralized Counselling for admission to the UG & PG law courses will be organized by the authority.
- Four rounds will be conducted in the counselling.
- In the month of June 2019, the fee payment & exercising options will be started.
- Counselling fee is Rs. 50,000 which has to be paid by the candidates. At the time of admission, it should be adjusted.
- On the basis of merit-cum-preference, i.e. CLAT rank, the order of preferences, category, number of seats, availability of seats, etc., the allotment of seats will be done.
- Candidates have to report to the allotted NLUs with the balanced admission fee.
Candidates are advised to visit the CLAT-2019 website regularly for updates. If you have any queries regarding CLAT Exam, please post your query on our AfterGraduation Forum or in the below comment box. All the best to Law Aspirants and Start Your preparation. Connect with us for more updates, follow Linkedin, Facebook, and Twitter