The Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI) has introduced CS New Syllabus for Executive and Professional Programmes. The revised syllabus of the Company Secretary (CS) course for the Executive and Professional programme is effective from March 1, 2018. The first examination under the CS new syllabus for CS Executive Programme shall be held in December 2018 and for CS Professional Programme in June 2019.
The main aim of ICSI setup is to regulate and develop the profession of Company Secretaries, and it has constantly strived towards attaining academic excellence, in order to cater to the academic needs of the students. ICSI create a legion of ‘Governance Professionals’ who can serve the corporate world optimally. For this, the Institute undertook the process of revising its syllabus on regular period and brought out a unique syllabus which encompasses the innovative concepts of Core, Ancillary and Hybrid Subjects, as required in their profession.
In the revised CS syllabus, the Core Subjects aim to create expertise in the future Governance Professionals and for this, the following fields have been given emphasis- Company Law, Securities Laws, Insolvency Law, FEMA and GST.
The following areas are covered under the Ancillary Subjects– Accounts, Finance, Taxation, Economic, Business and Commercial Laws and Business and Financial Management. The Ancillary Subjects focus on the creation of working knowledge in order to provide support to the Core areas.
Lastly, Hybrid Subjects ensure integration of Core and Ancillary areas.The Hybrid subjects will cover – Setting up of Business, Risk and Compliance Management, Governance, Drafting, Pleadings and Appearances, Restructuring and Insolvency Resolution, Secretarial Audit and Due Diligence, Corporate Funding, Corporate Disputes etc.
President ICSI, CS Makarand Lele while talking about the new syllabus said, “The Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI) has always strived to impart optimum knowledge to its students by undertaking the revision of syllabus intensively from time to time. Further, Government programmes such as Make In India, Startup India, Skill India and focus on Ease of Doing Business have created mammoth opportunities for Company Secretaries, which in turn have necessitated bringing out a syllabus which can assist the future governance professionals to align with the Government policies”.
The CS New Syllabus comprises of Eight papers at Executive Programme and Nine papers at Professional Programme including one elective Paper. The students has to opt one elective paper out of eight elective papers namely, (i) Banking- Law & Practice; (ii) Insurance- Law & Practice; (iii) Intellectual Property Rights- Laws and Practices; (iv) Forensic Audit; (v) Direct Tax Law & Practice; (vi) Labour Laws & Practice; (vii) Valuations & Business Modelling and (viii) Insolvency- Law and Practice.
The inclusion of the subject titled, ‘Multidisciplinary Case Studies’ for the CS Professional programme will definitely be of immense academic value. The examination for this paper will be open book as it will assist phenomenally in developing the comprehension and analytical skills of the students in solving various critical issues that they may face in their professional career.
Highlights of CS New Syllabus
- The metamorphosis from theoretical to the practical approach.
- CS new syllabus has the innovative concept of Core Areas for Company Secretaries, Ancillary to Core – Areas allied to Core Areas and Hybrid – Combination of Core and Allied areas.
- Introduction of new subjects according to need of today’s requirement, like, Jurisprudence, Interpretation and General Laws; Setting up of Business Entities and Closure; Financial and Strategic Management etc in Executive Programme and Professional Programme.
- Elective Subjects have been included in the New Syllabus while keeping in view the importance and contemporariness. Elective subjects focusing on Banking, Insurance, Valuation, Business Modelling, Insolvency, Labour Laws and Forensic Audit will go a long way in enhancing the professional opportunities for qualified Company Secretaries.
- The inclusion of extremely relevant Post Membership Qualification and Certification Courses for the Company Secretaries who could not pursue a particular course of their choice when they were students.
- A judicious allocation of marks to different parts/components of the subjects of CS New Syllabus (CS Executive Programme and CS Professional Programme).
Applicability of New Syllabus for the CS Executive Programme Candidates
- The first examination of the Executive Programme under the new syllabus shall be held in December 2018
- Candidates registered effective from March 01, 2018 shall be examined under the new syllabus.
- Candidates registered prior to March 01, 2018 shall be allowed to appear in the Executive Program Examination under the old syllabus up to and including December 2019.
- Candidates registered prior to March 01, 2018 will be permitted to appear in the Executive Program Examination under the new syllabus if they so opt.
- The last examination of the Executive Programme under the old syllabus shall be held in December 2019.
- From and including June 2020, Executive Programme Examination shall be held under the new syllabus only.
Applicability of New Syllabus for the CS Professional Programme Students
- The first examination of the Professional Programme under the new syllabus shall be held in June 2019.
- Candidates registered effective from September 01, 2018 shall be examined under new syllabus.
- Candidates registered prior to September 01, 2018 will be permitted to appear in the Professional Programme Examination under the old syllabus up to and including June 2020.
- Candidates registered prior to September 01, 2018 will be permitted to appear in the Professional Programme Examination under the new syllabus if they so opt.
- The last examination of the Professional Programme under the old syllabus shall be held in June 2020.
- From and including December 2020, Professional Programme Examination shall be held under the new syllabus only.
Here you got the details about “ Highlights of CS New Syllabus for Executive and Professional Programme”. Please post your comments or queries regarding ICSI new Syllabus for CS Course, either on our Aftergraduation Forum or in the below comment box. Connect with us for more updates on Admission, Placements and other information of Institutes on Linkedin, Facebook, and Twitter also.