Top Indian Universities Subject wise: The global higher education think-tank QS (Quacquarelli Symonds) has released the ‘QS World University Rankings 2022 by Subject’ on Wednesday, April 6. The QS World University Rankings by Subject 2022 cover a total of 51 disciplines, grouped into five broad subject areas – Arts and Humanities, Engineering and Technology, Life Sciences and Medicine, Natural Sciences, and Social Sciences and Management.
For the ‘QS World University Rankings by Subject 2022’, Universities were evaluated in 34 specific subjects and 5 broader subject areas Each category includes different subjects for which universities have ranked.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) has been ranked Number 1 in 12 subjects worldwide. Among Indian Universities, IIT Delhi shines with its four academic programmes securing places in the global top 100 ranks in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2022 released — Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, and Civil Engineering.
Several Indian universities and institutions have made it to the list of QS Rankings by Subject 2022. The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay has topped the list country-wise. Scroll down to check out the top Indian universities in each of the broad subject areas as listed by QS along with their global rank.
Top Indian Universities in QS World University Rankings 2022 by Subject
- Arts and Humanities
- Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) (Rank: 188)
- University of Delhi (Rank:=227)
- IIT Bombay (Rank:=333)
- IIT Delhi Rank (Rank:401-450)
- Jadavpur University (Rank: 401-450)
In the stream of Arts and Humanities, the University of Oxford has topped the list with a score of 98, followed by the University of Cambridge at a score of 97.9 and Harvard University with a score of 97.4. While there is no Indian university in the first 100 ranks, the Jawaharlal Nehru University has earned the 188th rank with a score of 68.5.
- Engineering and Technology
- IIT Bombay (Rank: 65)
- IIT Delhi (Rank: 72)
- IIT Kharagpur (Rank: =101)
- IIT Madras (Rank: 103)
- IIT Kanpur (Rank: =122)
- IISc Bengaluru (Rank: =145)
- IIT Roorkee (Rank: =222)
- IIT Guwahati (Rank: =259)
- Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT) (Rank: =346)
- University of Delhi (Rank: 451-500)
Massachusetts Institute of Technology secured the first rank in the 2022 list with a score of 96.5, followed by the University of Cambridge and the University of Oxford.
- Life Sciences and Medicine
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) (Rank: 204)
- University of Delhi (Rank: =330)
- Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE) (Rank: =375)
- Natural Sciences
- IISc Bengaluru (Rank: =103)
- IIT Bombay (Rank: =142)
- IIT Madras (Rank: =176)
- IIT Delhi (Rank: =217)
- IIT Kanpur (Rank: =248)
- IIT Kharagpur (Rank: =275)
- University of Delhi (Rank: =307)
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (Rank: =322)
- IIT Roorkee (Rank: =363)
- IIT Guwahati (Rank: =391)
- Social Sciences and Management
- University of Delhi=195
- IIT Delhi (Rank: =211)
- IIT Bombay (Rank: =214)
- IIM Ahmedabad (Rank: =259)
- IIM Bangalore (Rank: =271)
- Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) (Rank: =350)
- IIT Kharagpur (Rank: =357)
- IIT Madras (Rank: =368)
- IIM Calcutta (Rank: =388)
- IIT Kanpur (Rank: 501-520)
(Note: The rankings as mentioned above are at times accompanied by ‘=’ which indicates that the position is shared by other institutes. QS also puts ranks in ranges of 50 after rank 400. Some subject areas have fewer than 10 Indian universities listed.)
Top Indian universities in a few of the individual subjects as per QS:
- English Language and Literature: JNU
- Environmental Sciences: IIT Bombay
- Medicine: AIIMS
- Law and Legal Studies: OP Jindal Global University
- Geography: JNU
- Mathematics: IIT Bombay
- Physics and Astronomy: IISc Bangalore
- Architecture and Built Environment: IIT Madras
- Philosophy: Delhi University
- Agriculture and Forestry: IIT Kharagpur
- Earth and Marine Sciences: IISc Bangalore
- Chemistry: IISc Bangalore
- Business and Management Studies: IIM Bangalore
- Politics: JNU
- Accounting and Finance: IIM Bangalore
QS Rankings Methodology
To rank the universities in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2022, as many as five components have been taken into account —
- Academic reputation
- employer reputation (graduate employment)
- Research citations per paper (research quality)
- International research network (by broad-faculty area).
In 2022, the QS World University Rankings by Subject draws on responses from over 130,000 academics worldwide.
Please post your queries or comments regarding ‘QS World University Rankings 2022 by subject’ in the below comment box.
Stay connected through Linkedin, Facebook, and Twitter for more and regular information on Higher Education, Professional courses, Entrance exams and Preparation, Rankings, Admission & Placement of the Institutes.