The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) 2019 exam will be held in the first week of February 2019. GATE 2019 Exam is a brilliant opportunity for the candidates not only to be eligible for post graduation courses in engineering subject but also they can apply for lucrative engineering jobs offered by the PSUs. So, it is important for the aspirants to know the preparation strategy of GATE 2019 Civil Engineering (CE).
Civil Engineering is the oldest and broadest study in the field of engineering. Civil engineering basically consists of works like construction, infrastructure development, planning to build bridges, roads, canals, dams, airport and etc. Civil Engineering (CE) is one of the relatively preferred branches in GATE exam along with ME, CSE, Chemical, EE, ECE and IN.
Many PSUs recruited the Civil Engineering graduates through GATE Score for their job openings. It is time for the GATE 2019 aspirants to start their preparation in a serious and intense manner, but before that, it requires proper planning, a roadmap to reach the aim of better GATE 2019 Score.
This article will help the candidates who are appearing to GATE 2019 Civil Engineering examination. In this article, we will let you know about the GATE 2019 syllabus for civil engineering, exam pattern, and best reference books for you to study and of course how to prepare for the examination.
GATE 2019 Civil Engineering – Syllabus
|1||General Aptitude (Mandatory)||Verbal Ability Syllabus
· English Grammar
· Sentence Completion
· Verbal Analogies
· Word Groups Instructions
· Critical Reasoning And Verbal Deduction, etc.
. Numerical Ability
· Numerical Computation
· Numerical Estimation
· Numerical Reasoning And Data Interpretation, etc.
|2||Engineering Mathematics (Mandatory)||· Linear Algebra
· Ordinary Differential Equation (ODE)
· Partial Differential Equation (PDE)
· Probability and Statistics
· Numerical Methods.
|3||Structural Engineering||· Solid Mechanics
· Construction Materials and Management
· Engineering Mechanics
· Structural Analysis
· Steel Structures
· Concrete Structures
|4||Environmental engineering||· Air pollution
· Noise Pollution
· Municipal Solid Wastes
· Water and Waste Water
|5||Transportation Engineering||· Traffic Engineering
· Transportation Infrastructure
· Highway Pavements
|6||Geotechnical Engineering||· Foundation Engineering
· Soil Mechanics
|7||Water Resources Engineering||· Hydrology
· Fluid Mechanics
GATE 2019 Civil Engineering – Reference Books
|S.No||Name of the Book||Author|
|1.||Prestressed Concrete||Krishna Raju|
|2.||Railway Engineering||Subhash And Satyapal|
|3.||RCC Design||Krishna Raju, PC Verghese|
|4.||Reinforced Concrete||Ashok K Jain|
|5.||Soil Mechanics||Gopal Ranjan & Rao, Venkat Ramaiha,S. K. Garg, B.C. Punamia, V N S Murthy|
|6.||Steel Design||Kazimi Jindal to improve concepts; for numerals L.S. Negi and for other topics – S.K. Duggal|
|7.||Strength of Materials/Mechanics of Structure||Gare & Timoshenko, E. Popove, L. Singer,
B.C. Punamia, Rammamrutham
|8.||Theory of Structure||CK Wang, S. Rammamrutham, L.S. Negi & Jangit|
|9.||Irrigation Engineering||S K Garg|
|10||Structural Analysis||R.C. Hibbeler|
|12.||Water Resources||S K Garg|
Civil Engineering GATE 2019 Exam Pattern
While preparing for the exam students must also be well versed with the exam pattern of GATE 2019 for Civil Engineering. The GATE 2019 exam will be conducted through online mode. In GATE 2019 exam there will be multiple choices questions (MCQ) and numerical answer type (NAT) questions that candidates have to attempt. Negative marking will be done if the answer is incorrect in the case of MCQ and for NAT no negative marking will be done. Candidates will find easier if they have the complete information about civil engineering GATE 2019 exam pattern before starting of the preparation.
Below given table will describe some more details about GATE 2019 Civil Engineering exam.
|Duration of Exam||3 hours|
|Total Number of Questions||65|
|Sections||In total there will be three sections in GATE 2019 Civil Engineering examination.
· 1. General Aptitude which contains 15% of total marks weigh.
· 2. Engineering Mathematics which contains 15% of total marks weigh.
· 3. Subject Question contains rest of 70% of total marks.
GATE Preparation Tips for Civil Engineering Students
- Go through the previous year’s question papers and practice those papers for better clarity of exam pattern.
- Study with the best reference books as mentioned above that have all the basic topics.
- You have to learn time management skill by practising more and more. Take mock test to develop the speed and accuracy of solving questions.
- Prepare those topics which carry more weightage thoroughly to get you a high score.
- Always find leisure activities to relax. Listen to music, hang out with friends, participate in family and social functions, watch TV etc
- Make notes of important topic so that it will be easy for you to study in exam times.
- Good coaching classes or a good teacher can also help you in guiding during preparation.
- Study with the concentration and study daily for 4-5 hours.
- Candidates who are appearing for GATE exam are requested to attend mock tests so it will let you know your actual preparation for the exam.
- Revision is the most important thing after studying the subjects.
- Have to improve confidence in yourself.
Scope for a Civil Engineer
As we all know that world is developing day by day so in order, to that, there will be more construction of airports, railway station, and highways to make the connectivity easier. The real state companies also need the civil engineers. So it’s clear that the students who are choosing civil engineering as their branch has a bright and shining career in future.
READ MORE: GATE Scores For PSU Recruitment
We would love your inputs and suggestions to bring more useful articles for GATE aspirants. Drop all your queries or comments on our Aftergraduation Forum or in the below comment box and we would be happy to help you.
Stay in touch with us for updates on Entrance Exam Preparation, Higher Education, Professional Courses, Career Enhancement Programmes, Entrance Exams Information, among education other information through Linkedin, Facebook, and Twitter.
All the Best..!!