On this Thursday, the HRD Ministry announced amendments in the Prime Minister’s Research Fellowship, PMRF Scheme to increase the number of students to pursue research in India. The announced PMRF 2020 scheme include reduction in the required GATE score, introduction of a lateral entry option among others.
The candidates pursuing master’s level Engineering courses from any Indian technical institute can apply for this research fellowship programme. The lateral entry is for the candidates who are pursuing a PhD in PMRF granting institutions as per the new guidelines.
The GATE score have been revised to apply for the PMRF programme, reduced from 750 to 650. These changes would be effective from the academic session 2020-21.
The PMRF scheme announced in the 2018-19 Budget with aim to improve the quality of research in various higher educational institutions in the country. The scheme seeks to attract the best talent into research domain thereby realising the vision of country’s development through innovation.
The institutes which are eligible to grant the fellowship include all the IITs, the IISERs, Indian Institute of Science Bangalore, some of the top Central Universities, National Institutes of Technology (NITs) among the top 25 institutions as per NIRF ranking.
Read the full post to have the details about Prime Minister’s Research Fellowship (PMRF) Scheme – Eligibility, Application Process, Selection Criteria among other information.
PMRF Scheme: Revised Eligibility
Important Requirements for Lateral Entry Channel
- The candidates must be pursuing a PhD in one of the PMRF granting institutes. He/she must also have completed 12 months in their PhD programme joined along with the master’s degree.
- The PhD programme must be completed in 24 months which has been joined along with the Bachelor’s programme. He/ she also must have completed 4 courses in PhD programme with CGPA of more than 8.5.
- If the PMRF granting institute makes a strong recommendation for the candidate and uploads it on the PMRF portal.
- The candidates have to make a strong research proposal, publication and grades would also be given weightage.
Important Requirements for Direct Entry Channel
- The candidate must have either completed or must be pursuing a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Science and Technology with minimum 8.0 CGPA. He also must have a GATE score of 650 or above in his respective subject.
- He could also be pursuing Mtech or MS in one of the PMRF institutes.
- The candidates can apply and get selected for the PhD programme in the PMRF institutes
- If the PMRF institute makes a strong recommendation for the candidate to award PMRF against his/her merit.
How to apply for PMRF 2020 Scheme?
Starting academic Year 2020-21, candidates can apply for PMRF through either direct entry or lateral entry channel with the steps provides below-
Step 1: Aspirants need to visit the PMRF official website
Step 2: On the homepage, candidates are supposed to click on the form link.
Step 3: Fill up the form with the requisite credentials.
Step 4: Provide your aadhaar details and other documents as asked in the form.
Step 5: Pay the applicable fee through online mode.
Step 6: Click on the submit option and save a copy for future reference
PMRF Selection Process
The candidates for the PMRF scheme will be selected through a rigorous selection process. Applicant’s performance will be reviewed suitably through a national convention.
List of PMRF Granting Institutes
- IISc Bengaluru
- All Indian Institute of Technologies
- Benaras Hindu University, BHU
- Jawaharlal Nehru University
- Hyderabad University
- Jamia Milia Islamia
- Delhi University
- NIT Tiruchirapalli
PMRF 2020-21 Benefits
The selected candidates not only get a chance to pursue PhD degree in top institutes of India but also they get financial benefits. On selection, they get Rs 70,000/- per month for the first two years, Rs 75,000/- per month for the third year and Rs 80,000/- per month for fourth and fifth year.
Here you got the details about Prime Minister’s Research Fellowship (PMRF) Scheme – Eligibility, Application Process, Selection Criteria among other information. Have any inputs or comments, you are Welcome to post in the below comment box.
Stay connected through Linkedin, Facebook, and Twitter for latest updates and more information on Higher Education, Professional Courses, Entrance Exams and Preparation, Career Guidance, Jobs, Placements among other information.