UPSC CDS Exam Pattern and Preparation: UPSC CDS, that is, Combined Defence Services is a national level examination held to recruit candidates for Indian Military Academy, Indian Naval Academy, Air Force Academy and Officers Training Academy. This examination is held twice a year. In 2020, the CDS examination is scheduled to be held on February 2 and November 8, 2020.
The online submission of UPSC CDS 1 Application Form is over. Now, from today November 26, Union Public Service Commission has open the facility for the candidate to withdraw their application till December 3, 2019.
The UPSC conduct this CDS exam in offline mode. Read the article completely to know more about the examination – UPSC CDS Exam pattern, Books for better preparation and Tips & Tricks with Guidance to clear the selection cutoffs.
UPSC CDS Exam Pattern
Exam pattern for admission for Indian Military Academy (IMA), Indian Naval Academy, Air Force Academy is as –
|No. of questions||Max. Marks||Duration|
Exam pattern for admission to Officers Training Academy (OTA) is as below –
|No. of questions||Max. Marks||Duration|
NOTE: for every correct answer in response, 1 mark is awarded and for every wrongly attempted question, 0.33 mark is deducted .
The written exam is followed by the interview. The pattern of the interview is as follows: Intelligent Test, Psychological Test, Group Discussion and Group Activities. There is no separate marks for this but just to filter out the candidates. The last stage is the medical test which is used to determine if the candidate is completely fit for the role or not.
Best Books for CDS Exam Preparation
The subjects to be prepared for the test process are Engligh, GK and Maths. Some reference books for these subjects are mentioned below :
- Geography & History – NCERT (Std 6th – 12th)
- NCERT 40 Books Set for UPSC Exams
- Pathfinder CDS Examination – Arihant Experts
- General Knowledge 2020 – Arihant Publication
- Manorama Yearbook
- Objective General English – S. P. Bakshi
- Wren & Martinâs High School English Grammar & Composition – Wren and Martinâs
- Word Power Made Easy – Norman Lewis
- Quantitative Aptitude and Reasoning – Shyam Saraf
- UPSC CDS (Combined Defence Services Examination) Exam Goalpost, Solved Papers
- Mathematics for CDS Examination – R. S. Aggarwal
Preparation Tips for CDS Exam
I. Understand Exam Pattern and Syllabus: It is very crucial to understand the overall pattern and the syllabus of the examination. This helps further to layout a study plan and also to choose the reference books for preparation.
2. Make a Time-Table: Do not forget to maintain a time table. This would help one to divide the time properly to different areas. Though everyone has different hour needs, yet a rough layout for time table can be followed as given below :
Monday – Tuesday : Elementary Maths
Wednesday : English
Thursday – Friday : General Knowledge
Saturday – Sunday : Revision and practice tests
3. Prepare Notes: While preparing, mark down everything which seems important. Be it formulae, important concepts, facts etc. Make notes for revision separately. These are very handy during the revisions.
4. Keep yourself Updated: Having a good command on GK will only be possible by keeping yourself updated. Read newspapers and monthly GK magazines to expand the GK base.
5. Choose the Study Materials wisely: Choose such kind of study materials which are easy to understand and is liable. There are plenty available in the market. Also, video tutorials are a great way to prepare.
6. Take care of health: It is important to have adequate rest and proper food. Sleep at least 6 hours a day to give mind and body much required break to avoid tiredness.
All the best. Here you got the details about UPSC CDS Exam Pattern, Books for preparation and Guidance. Wishing all the aspirants of the Combined Defence Services (I) Exam 2020 to burn their midnight oils to crack the UPSC recruitment test.
Post Your feedback or queries regarding âUPSC CDS (I) 2020 Exam pattern, Books, Preparation Tipsâ on AfterGraduation Forum or in the below comment box.
Stay in touch through Linkedin, Facebook, and Twitter for more and regular information on Higher education, Professional courses, Career Enhancement Programmes, Entrance exams and preparation, Jobs/Recruitment, Career guidance among education other information.